Chapter 19

Lying a few feet away was my hat. It laid there flat and dead unmoving. I stared at it a few moments then turned back to Will. My hair blocked my face for a moment obscuring my view of him but in a second it was gone. Will stood there still frozen like a statue. I took one glance at each then got up, grabbed my hat, and ran into the house. He didn't need to see me anymore. 

No.

 I didn't need to see him look like that anymore. I couldn't believe this had happened.

Inside the house I slammed the bedroom door. It was never closed before so it was a bit stiff but I managed. I locked the door and ran to my window bench. I thought of all the things that could go wrong with Will knowing my identity. I shivered at the thought. There were so many things that could happen. He could tell some one else or use his knowledge to black mail me or start to act strangely and let it slip to someone on accident. He could do so much more. If he recognized me as the stranger at the waterfall I didn't what he would do.

I sat in my small room in silence looking out the window. I didn't want to think about it any more but the possibilities scared me. No matter how hard I tried the thoughts found them selves in my head. They wouldn't leave me alone and I couldn't escape them. The silence made them worse. It toyed with me like nothing had happened but everything did. It didn't seem to care that the secret I had been trying to keep had just unveiled it self. Everything seemed to fall apart. My world was falling apart.

The front door creaked open and footsteps followed suite. I kept quiet as they neared. They could only be from one person and I didn't feel like talking to him. Will must have been in shock for a while and I didn't want to know how he was taking it. I didn't care at the moment. I was only thinking about myself.

A knock came from the door.

I didn't answer.

Another knock. "Open up. We need to talk." Will's softened voice came from the other side of the door. I didn't say anything. "Please open up. We need to talk. I'm so... confused." Still I didn't responded. "If you won't open up please talk to me or at least say something." He begged.

"I'm in no mood to talk to you. Just go away." I prompted in my normal voice, taking off the mask. There was no point in it any more.

I heard no footsteps leave. "Just talk to me. I would like an explanation. That is all, nothing more."

I kept quiet not sure if I should say anything. He didn't really deserve it. Finally I spoke, "Go on what do you want?"

"Can we talk face to face?" He asked.

"No"

"I didn't think so." He paused a moment. "I don't know where to start. I have questions, so many questions."

"Better start somewhere before I don't feel like answering." I warned.

"Okay, okay. Let's get to the point. Why do you dress like a boy?"

My voice lowered, "In this world being a boy is the best way for people to leave you alone. Being a girl only gets you into trouble and people don't take you seriously."

"Understandable." He comforted.

"What do you know about being a girl in a place like this? In a place where you have to be tough and not look weak because of your gender? What do you know about being classified because of who you are? Being male lets you be left alone, taken seriously, and not taken advantage of. You get to have an easier world then us." I explained my voice getting louder, accusing. "I've seen how the world treats girls, especially street girls," I said to my self.