Chapter 20

A throbbing sensation came from the back of my head. I moaned at the pain and rolled over to my side. My sight was a bit foggy when I opened my eyes but it started to clear up gradually. I rubbed the back of my head then grimaced at a tendered spot I touched.

Reality came back to me along with what happened. I remember Will against the wall out cold. Even though I knew that he was gone I looked at his spot. No one was there. 

Slowly I got up off the ground careful not to move too fast and make the world spin. I wished that I had something to ease the pain.

I walked around the house surveying what had happened trying to get the whole picture. Most of my pots, plates, and silverware were on the ground. The plates were broken but the knife from the draw was on the wall across the room. Everything that had been on the counter was on the floor. Things were smashed, some were knocked over, and others were in the wrong spot. 

I was glad Will had put up a good fight before getting knocked out even if it had destroyed my house. It seemed by the damage that he had done pretty well until the others intervened. I assumed that he handled him self decently until the third guy came in, if there were three. I was certain that there were two in the house for sure and the one outside made three but I wasn't sure if there had been a fourth.

Surprisingly I found my self-calm and focused rather than anxious and nervous. With what happened it was a miracle I was. I figured it was because I knew who took Will. Everything that happened pointed to the guys I met while helping Will the first time. 

The people who attacked us were older except for the look out. He was younger then the rest but still capable. They also weren't people I recognized so the thugs let their dirty work be done by someone else. The two guys looking for Will the runaway didn't seem like the type of guys to let some one else do their work for them. They'd want to make sure it got done right. If Will was taken by them I would have probably been anxious. Knowing it wasn't them made me calmer.

A plan started to form for me of how to get Will back or at least how to find out where he was taken. I rushed around the house trying to find everything I was going to need to taking with me. I wasn't planning on coming back for a while, if ever. It wasn't a safe place to be anymore. It wasn't a refuge that I could stay in any more. 

I was going to miss this place.

Everything was somewhere else in the house after the fight. It took longer for me to find all the supplies that we would need after I got Will. I also made sure to pack twice as much that was needed to use for each of us. I was suddenly thankful Will had gotten a bigger pack at the market. It was coming in handy.

All the food that would stay good fit in the bag, so did the water canteens I dug up, the money Pete gave me, and the extra clothes that I put in for me. There was extra room for the clothes I'd pick up for Will. Hopefully I found a pair that would fit him before I get to my destination. There was one last thing I needed to get that I was sure no one found.

I walked over to my bed and took out the extended wall. On all fours I squeezed my self into the space meant for my feet. A bit farther in from the bench it dropped down to the floor where a chest was. I struggled to get the chest up but when I finally did I opened it up.

Inside the chest was an assortment of gadgets and knives. They sparkled and reflected my image back at me. I knew that I was going to have to leave most of it behind so I decided to grab the things that could either be concealed or were lightweight. Some of the knives were too big to conceal but the ones that weren't I hid in various places. I put some around my waist under my shirt; others were in my shoes by my ankle, yet others I put in my bag in case of an emergency. I made sure to place one pair of particular daggers safely on my belt. The rest of the knives I placed back into the chest and behind the wall.