Chapter Twenty-Six: Bitter Escape

Chris

Being trapped here in a storage unit with my girlfriend, gave me time to think. I haven't been the BEST boyfriend. I mean, if I didn't kill Gideon, we wouldn't be in this mess. Actually, if I hadn't broken up with Victoria, she wouldn't have been in the car accident, Mijo wouldn't be in jail and we wouldn't have all these problems. But I guess that's what happens when you play God.

Vick and I have been sitting in this storage unit for hours and I was getting very antsy. Vick was no help either as she kept squirming for the past few hours. We were able to struggle enough to remove the cloths from our mouths. Our mouths were free, but we weren't.

"Great, we got the gag off, but how are we gonna get the handcuffs off? There's no key!" Vick says, wriggling her wrists furiously.

"Hey, quit moving, babe! You do realize that our wrists are cuffed together, right? When you move around like that, you are hurting me." I say, as I shift, getting more and more uncomfortable.

"Okay, so what do you suppose we do, Chris? If you haven't noticed, we are bound in a storage unit with no way out." Vick says, clearly frustrated with me.

"Let me think!" I say, irritated.

"Oh, great, you have a idea! Because your ideas have been SO helpful lately!" Vick retorts sarcastically.

"Don't be a smartass right now, Vick. I'm trying." I say, wriggling some more.

I then hear sniffles and sighing. Victoria was crying.
"What are we gonna do, Chris? I can't believe this happened. I'm so sorry, baby." After that, Vick broke down in tears.

"Hey, hey. Don't apologize. Baby, don't cry. Man, if we weren't back to back, I would kiss you. Don't worry, I will get us out of this mess. I promise." I reasurre Victoria as she has been the one struggling this whole time.

I look around to see if there was anything to set us free. Nothing here. Wait! My pocket knife! I think to myself.
I try to shift downward to reach for my knife so I can cut us free, but my hands couldn't grab the handle.

"Vick! Hey, if you can, reach in my left front pocket and grab my blade. I'm gonna cut us out of here!" I say, expressively.

Vick moves with a quick jump and wiggles just enough to grab the blade handle.
"Got it! Okay, babe, get us out of here!" Vick says with excitement.

I grip the knife and begin to saw through the handcuffs. It took a good ten minutes, but I eventually cut through the chain of the handcuffs.

"Yes! Oh, thank God! I love you so much! You are a lifesaver!" Vick says, jumping into my arms.

I spin her around in a circle and we lock eyes in the dimly lit storage unit. We don't think in the silence, we just stare into each other's eyes. Our breathing fills the silent room. As I lean in close to make my move, Vick clears her throat and taps my chest to signal me to let her down. I set her down and stand there awkwardly.

"You have a plan?" Vick asks as she traces the door with her hands.

"No, but I'll let you know if I think of something," I say sarcastically.

Vick gave me a very annoyed look.
"Of course I have a plan, Vick. I'm gonna pick the lock." I say, grabbing a bobby pin from Vick's flowing curly hair.

"Hey, what are you doing? This ain't Mission Impossible!" Vick says while she holds her head like her weave was snatched.

I began to work on the door with the bobby pin and pocket knife, completely ignoring Victoria, as I was trying to concentrate. While I was working, Vick began to get impatient.

"Chris, come on! Hurry before they come back!" Vick shouts.

"Let me work, Victoria! The faster I do this, the faster we'll get out of here! So I need some silence!" I shut her down quickly.

Victoria blows a irritated sigh and begins to rapidly tap her foot. I turn back and I see Vick crossing her arms and staring back at me in annoyance.

"What? What are you looking at? Get back to your work." Vick says, waving at me to finish.

"Well, I can't focus with you tapdancing in the background! Can you stop?" I say, clearly frustrated.

"Fine." Vick says mockingly.

Vick stops tapping her foot, but she began to make more sounds that were driving me up the wall. Mouth sounds, foot tapping, yawning, and just all around annoyances.
I had enough.

"VICTORIA! PLEASE JUST STOP! YOU'RE DRIVING ME INSANE! I SWEAR TO GOD, IF YOU MAKE ONE MORE NOISE, I'M GONNA—" I started to say.

"You're gonna what? Kill me? Haven't you done enough?" Vick angrily replies.

I get from my position and quickly walk over to Vick. I raise my hand, ready to slap her in the face. But as I was thinking to strike, I saw how scared and utterly timid Victoria was. She began to wince and her eyes were shut tight. I hurt her once, I can't hurt her again.

"Please, Vick. Let me work. Please." I calm down and immediately retract my hand.

I almost hit her. Oh my God. Keep cool, Chris. Anger got you into this mess. Wait, but anger can get us out! I had an idea.

"Vick, quick! Make me mad!" I say, grabbing her shoulders.

"What? How will I do that?" Vick asks quickly.

"Just say something that would piss me off." I say.

Vick takes a second to think, then she came up with a thought.

"You're weak, pathetic. Ya know, you should've been the one in the car accident." Vick's words hit me like a truck, but it was working.

I focused all my energy on the door and took a few steps back. I ran at full speed and charged at the door. All my force knocked the door off its hinges. We were free. Free.

Vick pushes pass me and I follow suit. Victoria doesn't utter a word as I follow her outside. I wonder what the problem is.

"Vick. What's going on? No thank you for saving us? No Chris, I love you?" I ask.

"And exactly what do I have to thank you for? Imprisoning us in a storage unit? Killing Gideon? Tell me. What should I thank you for?" Vick says with pure venom in her voice.

She was right. This is my fault.  My fault. I did this and I have nothing to show for it.
What have I done?