Chapter Eighteen: The Reveal

Victoria

It was my mission to help Chris out even if that meant exposing myself to the world. Chris meant so much to me and for him to suffer is clearly unacceptable.

I exit the house with a pair of car keys and took Chris's Bentley truck. It was a two hour drive, considering what time it was. It was about 1:30 in the morning when Chris was arrested and it was about 3:30 now. The drive was very tiring and I nearly fell asleep at the wheel, but I pulled it together for Chris.

I stop at the jailhouse and I could already see that it was going to be a problem since the front yard was very heavily guarded. I take in a breath and walk to the front gates of the prison. Two burly men step in front of me, demanding my business at the prison.

"Excuse me, ma'am. State your presence. This is a highly secure facility. We keep a close eye on all of the prisoners." One guard explains.

"I'm here to see a friend of mine. Christopher Brown. Now if you would excuse me, I would like to visit him. Please." I plead.

The guards look among themselves and then back at me. They nod and let me through. I slowly enter and I was stunned.

There were cells on all three floors of the prison and all of the inmates looked like they were ready to escape right then and there. I walk on the dirty tiled floors and searched the cells to see if I could find Chris. A guard noticed my searching and pulled me aside.

"Are you looking for someone, miss?" She asked.

"Yes, actually. I'm looking for Christopher Brown. He's a friend of mine. Could I talk to him, please?" I ask.

"How about you go in the visiting room and we will bring him out?" The guard offers. I accept and she leads me upstairs to the visiting room.

I sit down and take in my surroundings and I notice something different.

The family members of the prisoners just looked so somber. Some of these people looked like they haven't seen their children in years.

I can relate. My dad, even though I don't talk about him much, has been in jail since I was two. It's been twenty years since I've seen my dad. He is serving a 45-year sentence for battery, domestic abuse, and burglary.
My father had been on a nonstop crime spree for a while. He started very early in his life. He was thirteen when he joined the neighborhood gang back home.

My mom never let me associate with him while he was in jail. He did have visiting days and my mom did let me see him but that was very often.

To take my mind off of my dad, I started to think about my mom and how she feels about my "passing". She probably feels awful. Not having the only two family members in her life. If I told her that I was still alive, that would kill her. I don't know what to think.

During my reminiscing, the female guard brings Chris out and he comes to the table. I looked at Chris in worry as even though he was in the prison for a couple of hours, he looked like he was in there for a couple of years. His body looked slimmer and his eyes had bags like he hasn't slept in days. His wrists were handcuffed as he was brought into the room.

He sits down and the guard goes back to patrolling the doorway. His face cracked a small smile and he grabbed my hands. Chris's hands were ice cold as I slid my finger down the veins of his wrists.

Chris eyed my fingers and chuckled. I respond with a small smile. I peek out the corner of my eye and see the guard looking at us strangely since we hadn't talked in a good five minutes. I decide to break the silence.

"Baby, I'm so sorry this happened. I'll figure this out, I promise." I say.

"Don't apologize. I needed this. I should've been there to save you. I shouldn't have hurt your on our date and none of this would have happened. You wouldn't have died and we wouldn't be going through this. I'm so sorry, Victoria." Chris says through teary eyes.