The Beginning

Kalannie Zalia and Jarram Kallig didn't have much of a chance to begin with.

For a start, they were poor, and they lived on Nar Shaddaa, never a good situation to be in. It was, though he would never admit it, mostly Jarram's fault. Kalannie's family had always been poor and had accepted it, but when her husband's father had told him of an inheritance on Nar Shaddaa, he had tried to impress her by changing everything.

When he had brought her here, it had been on the promise of wealth, and a future. They were still stuck in a run-down house, working in a stupid Hutt's Cantina five years on. All because his father was either lying to them or had never taught his son to follow a map.

It was typical, Kalannie would often reflect bitterly.

But the couple's downfall arose from the much more unusual scenario of Imperial Intelligence taking an interest in their daughter, Kitty. Kitty Amari Zalia-Kallig wasn't a normal four-year-old, Kalannie was willing to admit, but she had never expected to open her door one morning to a sinister-looking Agent asking after her daughter.

She stared dumbly, in complete shock. "Are you deaf? Give me the kid!" The Agent snapped, but still, she couldn't find the words to answer him.

Sighing, he drew a pistol and fired directly at the woman's head. "I'll get her myself then." He muttered, stepping over her body and striding inside as though nothing had happened.

Having heard a blaster bolt, Jarram had come running down the corridor, brandishing his own weapon, and was now faced with Imperial Intelligence.

It was at this point that most people turned and ran, but Jarram Kallig had always had an opinion of himself that was higher than his IQ, and charged forward, shooting blindly.

The Agent, however, was a good shot, and Jarram was hastily reunited was his wife. A job well done, the Agent decided, now to find this damn child.

There was a frightened sounding squeak from under the table. Bending over would be the first and last mistake he ever made in his job, but then most Imperial Agents only get to make one mistake.

He didn't realise it was a mistake at first. He had found the child.

The problem?

The child had found her mother's blaster. And a blaster bolt to the nose is almost always fatal. Unfortunately for Kitty, the much-relished revenge that had been making her giggle so much was short-lived. The Agent had had some guards with him, and much to the child's annoyance, armour deflected blaster bolts.

That was the first time Kitty Zalia-Kallig got arrested, although it probably wouldn't be the last. The judge was incredulous about dealing with a four-year-old, but equally, shooting Imperial Intelligence Officers was undeniably criminal on every Imperial system and a few systems that were terrified of Sith.

The judge recognised that he could hardly have a child killed. It wasn't morals that bothered him. He had never been bothered before in his life. It was, however, quite disturbing to receive a message offering to remove his bones from his body, one by one, unless an 'anonymous benefactor' got the outcome they wanted.

While the court, either corrupt or terrified, made sure Kitty was sentenced to slavery, a precaution, unbeknown to most, designed so that Imperial Intelligence would know where to find her with more ease, said organisation 'removed' records of their involvement with, and the legal cases links to, the Kallig family, and the 'anonymous benefactor' that hired them, a certain Sith Lady who had traced the said family's Heir to Nar Shaddaa.

The plan worked perfectly. 11 years on, it was simple for the Intelligence Agents to pick up the girl with the rest of the slaves, and unless someone very unfortunately interfered and killed her, Lady Zash was confident that she had found her new apprentice...