Father figure

Christmas time was the hardest time. Not for me but for my kids. Their father barely comes to visit them and I'm constantly making up lies about where he is. Tom wasn't the best father figure, he didn't even show any consideration towards them. Our relationship started 9 years ago, I was 16 he was 17. At the time we were madly in love, some called it dangerously in love and looking back I was incredibly stupid. By the time I was 17 we had our first child George Edward Hardy(7). He looked exactly like his father. Bright green/blue eyes. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I clearly remember holding him in my eyes for the first time.Tom loved him so dearly, played with him, bathed him, brought him toys. He was the best father you could ever ask for. We finally got our own place when I was 19, thats when we found out I was pregnant with our second child Terrance Grace Hardy(5). After I had my daughter me and Tom started drifting apart. He was busy with work and I was busy looking after the kids but something was changing about Tom and it wasn't good. He started staying out late, ignoring the kids he wouldn't even look at me, let alone touch me. Our personal life became non existent. When I turned 24 our relationship ended after an argument. I had confronted him about some marks that had appeared on his back and hickeys on his neck and obviously we didn't get anywhere with that! After we broke up he would visit the kids all the time despite our feelings of hate towards each other. But his visits became less frequent. Then they completely stopped.

"Mommy is Santa going to visit us tonight?" Terri's puppy dog eyes scanned my own.

"Yes but if you wake up he'll know and he won't leave you any presents" I smiled at her as she tucks into her bed with her favourite teddy bear, her father had brought her the teddy for her 3rd birthday. I kissed her good night before turning off the lights and closing the door. I entered George's bedroom, he played with his batman action figures as I walked in. I sat on his bed watching him for a moment. He was a spitting image of his father.

"Does Terri still believe in Santa? That's so lame." He laughed before packing away his toys.George had a huge obsession with batman and suicide squad.

"You believed in Santa once too you know!" I nudged him. George was at the age where being a child was not allowed. He had to be "grown up" otherwise all the other kids would pick on him. But deep down he loved being a child, he just couldn't show it around his friends.

"I only want one thing for Christmas" he finally says as he puts away his toys, his face became mote serious.

"And what's that?" I help him pick out his pyjamas.

"For dad to visit us. I remember when I was little we would play battleships every year at Christmas and he would let me win" he smiled as he found his Star Wars pyjamas. I felt my heart drop a little. I knew how much George and Terrance missed their father but it wasn't my fault that he didn't want to visit them.I wish I could change what happened between me and Tom so the children could see him all the time but I can't

"How do you know he let you win?" I raised an eyebrow. Changing the subject

"Because I know" he finished putting on his pjs and climbed into bed."thats the kind of person he was. loving and caring. he hated seeing me cry. So he would let me win" he smiled

"I miss him mummy" his eyes started to water. I cuddled him keeping my own tears at bay
"I know you do baby. I know" I nuzzled my head into his hair. We stayed like that for a while as his eyes slowly started to close

"Goodnight sweety" I kissed his head and closing the door behind me. I had placed their presents under the Christmas tree which we had decorated a week ago before pouring myself a glass of wine. I sat in the darkness taking small swigs just thinking about the past.My eyes eventually got heavier and heavier. I found myself dreaming about Tom...