Chapter 5

**A picture of Mary above**

My last period was PE (Physical Education).

I changed into my fitness gear quickly before heading to the field.

"Lily!" I heard someone call out to me,  waving her hands frantically, I squinted my eyes and noticed Mary between a lot of other girls.

I rushed over to the other side of the field to stand next to her.

Out of breath, I greeted her.
"Hey." I said with a smile, wiping the small bead of sweat on my forehead.

"So today we'll be taking it easy and just do ten laps." Coach Barnes barked out.

A few groans could be heard but was cut off as quickly as they came when Coach Barnes blew his whistle.

"I see ten is too little huh?" he challenged us. No one dared to say anything.

"Make that twenty laps. And don't tempt me to make that thirty." He said sternly, before blowing his whistle signifying the start of our laps.

"This man will be the death of me." Mary groaned while running beside me.

"I feel you. I mean I'm not really what you would consider fit." I said letting out a groan.

"After today... your whole body will be aching when you get up tomorrow... morning. Trust me." Mary said between breaths.

"You know you seem to be quite fit." I said, breathing rather heavily.

"That's because I gym twice a week and this running helps me stay on track because I was in fact overweight about two years ago... and my older brother helped me become healthy and fit again, but the support from the girls really meant a lot. They helped me emotionally through it all and I'm forever grateful to have them by my side."

I admire Mary for being able to overcome her weight and choosing to regain her life, rather than just giving up.

She's strong.

By now we're sitting on the grass, taking a breather.

"It must have been hard for you at the beginning." I reasoned. It was truly remarkable how people could overcome such issues, especially when society is so judgemental.

"Yeah it was, and the temptation was also huge. I wanted to quit so many times, but the girls were always there to remind me why I'm doing this. And how sexy I'd look in a bikini." She chuckled.

"I've always pictured myself in one and now that I've lost all that weight, I'm hoping to get into a bikini this summer in Cape Town."

I smiled. "So you girls are pretty close." I've never really had any girl friends, just acquaintances.

"I guess so, we all met in 8th Grade besides Katie who transferred here two years ago. We all just found each other... like how we found you. It's fate." She smiled.

I smiled back. "Do you have a boyfriend if you don't mind me asking?"

"Nope. I'm as single as they come. I haven't found the right guy yet. I actually broke up with a guy two weeks ago because all he wanted was a "good time" which I was not going to give him. I'm not giving the cookie away until I'm married and most guys just won't accept that."

I stifled a laugh at the mention of 'cookie'. Another thing I admire is when a girl waits till marriage to give her sense of purity away, to a guy she loves. I too am waiting till marriage.

"Why have you never been in a relationship before because I mean like, you're gorgeous and yet you're still single? I don't even understand." Mary looked amused at the fact.