CH 25: "Fleeting Glimpse of Freedom"

"H E Y, beautiful girl." Abel flashed a grin as he came through the door, hands behind his back.

Savannah's eyes brightened and she scooted up in bed. "Abel. I thought you weren't gonna be here till later."

"Well," Abel smiled wryly. "I wasn't going to, but I got you something and wanted to give it to you now."

Savannah's interest was piqued. "What?"

"First." he withdrew one hand and handed her a single pink rose. "For the fairest maiden in the land."

Savannah giggled and took the rose, touching the soft petals to her nose. "I love pink roses. They're my favorite."

"I know." Abel winked. "And second..." He brought out his other hand, which held a large, square package encased in holiday wrapping. "Merry Christmas."

Savannah gave him a sweet, exasperated look. "It isn't Christmas, silly."

"It isn't?" he sighed and shook his head. "Well, damn. Guess I'll just have to take it back."

"No!" Savannah laughed and reached out her hand. "Gimme! Gimme!"

Abel narrowed his eyes. "Alright...I suppose." he started to hand it to her then pulled it back and held up a finger. "But this counts towards real Christmas." he smirked.

Savannah growled and laughed again. "Stop teasing me. Give it."

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Abel placed the package in her hands and smiled. "Hope you like it."

Like a little kid on the real Christmas morning, Savannah tore off the paper. Abel watched her, thankful she had enough spirit alive inside that she could still get excited about little things like receiving an unexpected gift. His lips tightened and he ducked his head quick to hide the sudden tears. When she worked her way into the box, he cleared his throat, blinked quickly and raised his head.

"No..." she gasped when she pulled open the flaps of the box. Her eyes grabbed Abel's. "Seriously?"

He smiled. "Yep." To look at her just then, one would never know she was anything but a healthy, vibrant sixteen-year-old with a long, bright future laid out before her. The laws of life were so fucked up.

With tentative hands, she reached inside and lifted out the expensive camera. Her hands caressed the sleek black surface, studying every little feature. "Oh my god, Abel." when she looked at him again, a sheen of tears shimmered in her green eyes.

He blinked again at the sting in his own and nudged the box. "There's more."

"More?" She set the camera beside her and pulled the box closer then smiled as she took out a large animal photography book and slowly opened it, gazing at the full color photos of various wild animals from around the world.

For as long as he could remember, she had been fascinated with taking pictures – and animals. While still at home with their parents, the only thing that could bring a smile to her face was the animal books Abel used to borrow from the library. Once, he had gathered change and collected soda bottles and even some of his parents' beer cans to turn in for the deposit, saving almost two months just to buy her a disposable camera for her birthday. He had come up short at the checkout and started to cry when he realized he wouldn't be able to get it for her – it wasn't as if she would be getting anything from their parents. When the woman behind the checkout stand dug into her own purse and paid the extra, that was the moment Abel began to believe in real live angels.

"Do you like it?" he swallowed tight, and smiled – then grunted when she suddenly threw her arms around his neck and hugged him with as much strength as she possessed. His arms went around her and he held her tight, eyes closed as he pressed his face into her hair, his heart breaking a thousand times over.