CH 8: "Evidence of a Lie"

C O L E couldn't stay long as he stopped by on his way back to the club. The black leather pants he wore left very little to the imagination – everything underneath shifting and rippling with even the slightest movement.

"You wore those to the hospital?" Abel asked doubtfully, a bit anxious.

"Yeah." Cole grinned. "What? You don't like them?"

Abel shook his head. "Sure I do, but..." He didn't finish.

A hand suddenly ruffled his hair like he was a little kid. "No worries, babe." Cole smirked and dropped down on the sofa next to him. "Dr. Romeo didn't see me."

Warmth seeped into Abel's cheeks. "So what if he did?" he shrugged and mumbled, "I don't care."

"Yeah. Uh huh." Cole flashed a teasing smile. "Sure you don't. You think if he sees me dressed like this, he might catch wind of which club we really work at." He chuckled. "But hey, at least I changed my shirt. Didn't wear the mesh top."

Abel rolled his eyes and smiled. He tried to deny it to himself, but Cole was right – he didn't want Dr. Grant knowing he made a living by stripping and dancing for horny men.

"So how was Savannah?" he asked quietly, his concern for his sister overriding talk of the doctor. "Is she any better?"

Cole straightened up on the sofa. "I talked to her doctor – Dr. Jacobs – he couldn't tell me much since I'm not a family member, but he did say she was improving some. They're treating her for pneumonia and she's responding well. But he wants to talk to you further about the full extent of her condition."

When Abel just nodded, gazing blankly at his hands, Cole reached over and gently squeezed the back of his neck. "You know you can talk to me, right? About anything. You have my total confidence, Abel." He scooted closer and slid his arm around Abel's shoulder, kissing his hair. "I've been your friend from the start."

"I know." Abel looked at him. "I know you have, Cole."

Cole touched his face, slid his thumb across his lips. "I love you, Abel." He ducked his head momentarily and smiled. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah." Abel whispered. He loved Cole too. More than a brother, but not so much as someone he would have a relationship with. Just...somewhere in between. A comfortable affection for the man.

"Good." Cole leaned over and kissed him softly, then slid his thumb across his lips again. "When the good doctor gets a taste of these lips," he murmured, smiling, "he'll think he died and went to heaven...'cause he'll swear he's kissing an angel." Abel smiled and Cole kissed him again. "And indeed...he will be."

Abel ducked his head and licked his lips slowly. "I don't think I will be kissing any doctors."

"Deny it all you want, angel boy." Cole ran his fingers through Abel's hair then kissed his brow warmly. "But you like the man...and he likes you. You can't hide from love, baby."

"Love?" Abel looked at him dubiously. "Don't you think that's...jumping the gun a bit?"

Cole chuckled and winked. "Nope." he stood up. "I know what I be seeing. And I be seeing two guys tumbling head over heels for each other."

"You are delusional." Abel shook his head, smiling.

"We'll see." he said. "Now get some rest and don't be worrying about Savannah. She's in capable hands. They're taking good care of her." He walked to the door. "Maybe Gabe and I will come over tonight after work and..." he winked. "...keep you entertained."