CH 10: "Hope Among Heartache"

T H E cell went off at seven in the morning, dragging Abel from a heavy sleep. He lifted his head off the pillow and glanced around; Cole and Gabe were no longer in the bed. He fumbled for the phone then opened it. "Hello?" his throat was scratchy and raw from crying so much last night, his voice rasping.

"Abel?"

Savannah's soft voice snapped him fully awake. "Savannah?"

"Dr. Grant told me I could use the phone to call you."

Just the mention of the doctor quickened Abel's heart rate, but he pushed aside thoughts of the man. "How...do you feel?" he asked slowly as cold reality began to creep back in, his stomach twisting and pinching. In Cole and Gabe's arms, he had found a moment of peaceful sleep where all the nightmares had faded away. But now they were back – becoming pronounced with the morning light rather than diminishing. And with them, a hollow dread.

"Better." she said. "How are you? Does your back still hurt bad?"

Abel shifted in bed. "Not as bad." he admitted. "It'll be better soon. I'll be in today to see you, okay?"

He could hear the smile in her voice when she said, "Okay. Good." Had Dr. Jacobs spoken to her about her condition? She sounded too...light hearted...to have been told the news. He would surely want Abel there when he did, wouldn't he?

"Do you want me to bring you anything?" he asked quietly, his throat suddenly tight, wanting to scream out the unfairness. "Something to read?"

"Maybe some of my magazines."

"Okay. I'll be sure and grab them." he said, struggling to put lightness in his voice but feeling the heaviness of his words as well as hearing it. "You should try and get as much rest as you can."

"Abel..." worry suddenly tightened her voice. "It costs a lot to be in the hospital...doesn't it? How..."

"Let me worry about that." Abel told her. God knew, she was going to have enough to try and deal with soon enough, she didn't need to be worrying about money. "I'll figure something out. You just focus on getting better. I always take care of us, don't I?" His own words cut at him. If you were so fucking good at taking care of her, she wouldn't be sick now.

"Yeah. You do." Savannah said softly, and her profession broke his heart. She trusted him with her life...and he had failed her.

His back protested when he crawled out of bed, but it wasn't as bad as yesterday, though still hurt plenty. He dressed and went out to the kitchen. The shower was running and he suspected both Cole and Gabe were sharing it. Moving stiffly, he grabbed a bowl and some cereal then sat at the small table. He had just begun to eat when the guys returned from the shower.

"You should have let us serve you breakfast in bed." Cole said. "You're still supposed to be staying off your feet and resting."

"I made a bowl of cereal." Abel shook his head. "Not hardly a strenuous feat."

Gabe chuckled and walked over, ruffling Abel's hair. "I have to get back to the club. I got an early shift today." He leaned down and kissed Abel's mouth, then smiled and licked his lips. "Yum. Cocoa Puffs."

"You're a cocoa puff." Abel muttered, smirking.

Laughing, Gabe shrugged. "Never been called that before, but I guess it's fitting." He gave Cole a long kiss then smacked his ass. "I will see you later." He cast Abel another look. "Get better, baby. We already miss you at the club."

Abel nodded and smiled. Nothing about last night was mentioned. He'd opened up and revealed things that they surely knew was very difficult for him speak about. It didn't have to be discussed in the cold light of day for him to know that they held sacred what he'd told them. And that they would be there for him, day or night, should he ever need them again.