CH 13: "I Wanna Know What Love Is"

"H A V E you eaten since this morning?" Gabe asked when they entered Abel's apartment.

"No." His nerves were on edge and he didn't think he could eat if he tried. Gabe had told Cole what he'd said back at the club, he could tell by Cole's unusually quiet and subdued demeanor. The man seemed to be in deep thought. Was he searching for a way to tell Abel that they wouldn't do what he asked of them? Neither had mentioned it.

"I'll go grab us some takeout." Gabe said and cast a quick glance at Cole before rubbing his hand down the back of Abel's head. "You need to eat. Stress and no food are a bad combo. You'll end up passing out."

No protests were made as Gabe left the apartment. Abel sat on the edge of the sofa cushion and Cole sat down beside him. "How is your back feeling?"

"Better." Abel murmured. "I think...maybe by tomorrow I can stop taking the pain pills."

"That's good." Cole said softly and rubbed his hand gently up and down his back. He loved how Cole's hands felt on him. As strong as the guy was, Abel knew he would never be afraid of Cole hurting him. "Do you want to tell me what's going on?"

His lips tightened, Abel leaned on his knees and gazed at his hands. "What do you mean?"

Cole touched his chin and turned Abel's face his way. "You know what I mean."

Standing, Abel walked over by the table, his back to Cole. But he said nothing, emotion gripping his throat. Cole was standing behind him in a moment, hands on his shoulders. He kissed his hair and let his lips linger.

"There's nothing I wouldn't do for you, Abel." he dipped down and kissed Abel's neck softly. "Nothing, babe." He slid his strong arms around Abel's neck and hugged him. "But why now? What brought this on?"

Abel gripped Cole's muscular forearms and pressed his cheek against the man's warm skin. "I'm...scared." he bit his lip as his eyes instantly filled.

"Scared of what?" Cole murmured.

Abel gazed blankly at the table, vision blurring. "Everything." he whispered. His tears spilled over and he began to cry. "I'm going to lose Savannah."

"What're you talking about?" Cole turned him around and gripped his shoulders. "What do you mean you're going to lose her?"

Abel trembled, his tears an endless well. "They think she...she has AIDS."

"What?" Cole exclaimed. "Are they sure?"

Shaking his head slowly, Abel choked on a sob. "Not yet, but...they know she has HIV."

"Oh my god." He pulled Abel into his arms and held him tight. "I'm so sorry, Abel." Tears strained Cole's voice, his arms squeezing. His lips pressed against Abel's hair. "Whatever you need, we'll be here for you, okay? Don't think for one second you have to deal with this alone."

Abel clung to him, his face shoved against his throat, crying softly. He knew he didn't dare tell Cole about Kaplan or the man's offer. Cole would tell him they would find some other way to get the money. There's no way in hell he would let Abel take such an offer. But Savannah was his responsibility. If he'd only taken better care of her, she wouldn't be in this mess. It was Abel's place to get the money. Cole, or Gabe, or no one else at the club made enough to pay for her care. And they shouldn't have to try. Abel was obligated to Savannah, and he would find a way to deal with the things Kaplan would do to him.

Wiping his face, Abel drew back. "Devlin said I...I should try to have hope."

"Devlin?"

Abel swallowed thick. "Dr. Grant." he whispered.