»seven«

I beat Chris down the stairs and took a cookie from the kitchen before he could stop me. I headed out onto the back patio.

"She may be a close mined conservative but she makes one heck of a cookie." I said as the rain started coming down.

I had no problem with rain. Rain was great, it rained a lot in Central so even if it bothered me I would've had to get over it by now. It was the lightning and thunder that really bothered me. It just brought back so many bad memories, of my mom dying of Felicity almost dying and worst of all of Nathan. This is the point where I clarify once more that Nathan is not my dad, dad is a title that is earned by caring for and supporting someone, as far as I was concerned Oliver was my dad. Nathan was nothing to me except a threat and a nuisance.

"Hey finish your cookie and then we can play in the rain." Chris snapped me back into the moment.

"You sound like a six year old." I said shoving the rest of my cookie in my mouth.

"You shouldn't insult six year olds like that Mel." Chris replied stepping off the patio into the rain that had started to come down harder.

It was getting to the point where you could smell the rain, where you would want to have an umbrella before going outside, where you would get soaked without one.

Who was I kidding, though, I needed a shower anyways, lacrosse was sweaty and exhausting. It was a nature shower.

"If anything happens to me." I said jokingly "Press the panic button on my phone and then call Barry." I then stepped out into the pouring rain. I was working on taking my hair down when Chris questioned me.

"You have a panic button on your phone?" He asked pushing his hair that was now dark brown instead of it's usual light brown out of his face.

"Since I'm a teenage millionaire, yeah. You activate it by pressing the home button seven times in a row quickly."

"Learn something new every day." Chris said. I smiled. We had to stand close to each other so we could carry a conversation over the sound of the rain that kept getting louder.

We had both already been soaking wet and stomping in puddles and catching raindrops on our tongues by the time I looked down as I was about to jump into another puddle. That was when I realized I was wearing a black sports bra under a light grey shirt.

"Chris."I stomped through the puddle towards him. "Why didn't you tell me you could see my bra?" I asked.

"It's not that noticeable." He dismissed it.

"Chris, I can see the Nike logo through my shirt." I responded.

"Then there's only one way to settle this." He said. "Dancing in the rain battle."

"You know I don't dance." I replied.

"So I win by default?" He asked.

"Fine dance battle, rain style." I agreed. As much as I hated being all wet like this it was really fun to play in the rain without having to worry or care about anything.

Thank god Chris went first, because otherwise I would've stood there, splashed some puddles and then jumped a few times. So he gave me a few ideas. I went, completely failed and then we gave up on the competition and just danced around the yard in the pouring rain like the idiots that we are.

And then I saw it, a blot of lightning a fair distance away up in the sky and I froze counting the seconds until the thunder followed.

One, two, three, four, five six, seven, eight, nine-

A little less than two miles away.

Chris being the good friend he is watched me as I was terrified by the sight of the lightning and crack of thunder.

"Can we go inside?" I asked getting scared.

"What?" Chris asked over the pouring rain.

"I saw lightning, can we go back inside?" I asked again.

"Nope, five more minutes." He said. I sighed, I could do five more minutes.

I continued to splash through puddles to try and pass the time. It wasn't very effective and I still had three minutes left after every puddle had been splashed. To try and pass the next two minutes I stood in the pouring rain and held a conversation with Chris.

"Would you still want to be a meta if you could predict the future?" I asked him.

"H*ll yeah, I could've saved Sean." He replied.

"That's not how my powers work. I see certain things, without being able to choose what I'm seeing, and most of the time I don't get to see the full picture, just specific parts. And sometimes my visions are just flat out false." I paused "and the only reason I have vertigo is because I'm a meta, because my dad is and my mom isn't, it's a side effect from the mutation from my dad's side." I explained. "It's not really that great."

"Okay, I guess you've got me convinced." He said. I nodded.

"What time is-" I began to ask before stopping myself as the taste of metal filled my mouth.

In that moment it was like I was living in slow motion.

A bolt of bright blue lightning struck somewhere around my feet, I couldn't see because I was still looking at Chris and although I was seeing it in slow motion I wasn't living in slow motion.

The light was blinding but I couldn't close my eyes. The lightning pushed me down and threw me several feet away from where I was standing.

Then the thunder hit, from this close it was extremely loud and sounded more electric than a regular rumble of thunder.

I closed my eyes just before it set in, the pain was like I was being set on fire. I laid on the ground screaming, I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, and my vision was fading.

"Melissa!" Chris yelled. He ran over to the patio where I had left my phone. I watched as he pushed the home button seven times. Seconds that felt like hours later Barry arrived, in flash gear, picked me up bridal style and ran off.

I closed my eyes and was convinced that this is how I die.

» sorry this took forever! I didn't have power because of the hurricane, any ways. YOU GUYS GOTTA REMIND ME TO UPDATE. Because otherwise I forget and put it off because I'm lazy as frick, and why would I even update if no one wants me to. Also please continue to point out plot holes, I know there will be several coming up I just can't remember where, I'm really bad about starting something and just leaving it. I would love to one day publish a completely plot-hole-free story. Also I need names for characters in book three and stuff so yeah leave a comment. 
Lastly I have a thing I wanna start doing. So I'm gonna ask you guys three questions you can answer any or all of them in the comments. One will be about you as a reader, one will be random, and one will be about me. I'll give my answer to the first two and then whoever is the first to correctly guess the answer to the question about me wins a dedication in the next chapter! (lol, I have a feeling people still won't do it). so here are today's questions!
What did you think of the first book? Do you like rollerskating? How old do you think I am?
The first book was really bad compared to this one but you didn't hear it from me. I freaking love rollerskating I went last night for the first time in three years and I forgot how much I love it. 
So leave me some comments answering questions, criticizing my work, suggesting names, and pointing out plot holes.
» holly