»six«

Chris spent the majority of the car ride giving me the this is so freaking awkward and it's all your fault look. Until Barry spoke up.

"Do you guys want to go get something to eat?" He asked.

Chris responded by giving me a look that said decline because I can't have dinner with my boss. So like a good friend I stared Chris straight in the face as I said

"Yeah, I'm starving."

Chris then gave me the less specific really? look and then bringing back memories from fifth grade signed the word for end, and then pointed to himself the sign for me, like sign language signed.

In fifth grade we had the strictest teacher in the school and she forbade talking and note passing. So Chris and I learned a ton of quick and pretty basic sign language to talk to each other in class, we even had a solid lie that I was going deaf and that Chris was interpreting for me. We never did get caught.

So Chris basically just said 'end me' without actually saying it because his boss that's my foster uncle was in the car.

"What are you in the mood for?" Barry asked. Chris whipped out his phone and texted me.

Chinese, on beach avenue

I looked up from my phone. "Can we get Chinese, from that place on Beach avenue?"

"Sounds great." Iris responded.

Remember when this gets awkward as hell, it's all your fault. He then texted me.

Fine by me I replied.

I wasn't expecting it, but Chris was right, it was awkward as h*ll.

"So," Barry asked, beginning the small talk "when did you two meet?"

"Kindergarten." I replied stirring my chicken lo mein. "The girl who stood between us in line, Lucy Lewis, was absent so when Chris stopped short I ran into him."

"And you kept flat tireing me until we got to gym." Chris added.

"A lot of my friendships are born out of fights." I explained.

The awkward small talk continued until we had all finished eating, including questions about metas and the vigilantes including the flash. Which kept me smirking the entire time and Chris ranting about how Star city had several vigilantes and Central had the two flashes.

This awkward conversation on metas brought another friendly fight between Chris and I.

"I'm sure it's not all that great to be a meta." I said when Barry asked about it.

"Are you kidding me? I'd give almost anything to be a meta." Chris said. "To have powers like that, and be able to use them for good, to save people, sign me up."

I stopped thinking about comebacks, I wasn't going to fight with Chris like this in public in front of Barry and Iris. Although the awkward small talk had proven effective in getting Chris to open up and be social. Soon we had arranged that I would stay at the Kingsley house until ten tonight and after that I would go back to the West-Allen apartment and spend the rest of the weekend.

So we walked up to the Kingsley house and I rang the doorbell because Chris forgot his key. Mrs.Kingsley answered the door.

"Oh Chris you brought home a girl!" She said. I cracked a smile. And Chris blushed.

"Mom this is Melissa." He said. "You know her."

"I'm back in town for the weekend I was wondering if I could hang out with Chris for a while?" I asked.

"Oh of course, honey." She replied. "You look so different, older."

I nodded, I guess I did, the death of a loved one will do that to you, especially that of a mother.

"I dyed my hair." I said as she let us inside. "Chris' dad isn't home yet, do I need to take you back home or anything?"

"No, I'm staying with some family friends here, they're picking me up around ten, if that's okay."

"Yeah that's fine." She said. "There are cookies in the kitchen if you want any." Chris pulled me upstairs before his mom could say anything else. He took me up to his room and locked the door.

"We need to settle this disagreement about being a meta." He said sitting down on his bed as I took a seat on the couch.

"Why, we can just keep our different opinions." I said. "We don't have to agree on everything."

"Mel, this is personal for you I can tell, and you would never defend Nathan like this." He said, Chris was right, he knew me too well.

"If I tell you, you've gotta come out." I said, I really did want Chris to come out to his parents.

"I'll come out if you tell me about this metahuman thing, and if you go outside in the rain." Chris negotiated.

"Fine, but if I get pneumonia or struck by lightning and die it's your fault."

"It will be your fault because you accepted this negotiation."

"Okay." I said taking a deep breath. "I'm a meta."

"Holy f*ck." He said at first, then after processing it, this would be the one time I didn't tell him not to cuss. "HELL YES MY BEST FRIEND'S A META!" Chris said loudly smiling before I tackled him.

"Shhhhhhhh." I said covering his mouth, "Only a few people know."

"Melissa you're about as good as keeping secrets as a British person, how many is a few?" He paused "and what's your power?"

"I have dreams about the future. My parents, Barry, Iris, Caitlin, Cisco and Wally all know. So with you that's eight people." I replied. "When's your dad gonna be home? So you can keep up your end of the bargain."

"Sometime in the next half hour. I'm not coming out until you go outside in that thunderstorm." He replied.

"You said nothing about a thunderstorm, you said it was rain." I clarified. "You know I'm terrified of thunder and lightning."

"And I'm terrified of my parents disowning me. I'd say it's even." I rolled me eyes. I didn't want to do this but I couldn't fight Chris about it.

"Let's go outside." I stood up, and my heart dropped, something wasn't gonna go down right, but I ignored it.