»two«

"Melissa!" Ms. Blake, my history teacher called snapping me out of my daydream.

"Yes ma'am?" I asked politely.

"Honey go splash your face, you seem out of it." She replied. I looked down at my textbook and then back up before leaving the room and walking down the hall to the bathrooms, where I did not splash my face because my mascara wasn't waterproof. After a minute or two of examining myself in the mirror I went back to class and somehow survived.

She was right, though. I was pretty out of it. I just had so much to think about that wasn't related to my schoolwork. Felicity and my little sibling, Chris and his birthday coming up, the first lacrosse game next week, Jen and Jackson's wedding that I was supposed to be a bridesmaid in, my meta powers, Oliver keeping his distance from us there was currently a lot going on in my life.

Charlotte and I were on our way to our last class of the day pushing through the crowded hallways when I began to feel uneasy.

So I stopped (never a good idea in a hallway full of high schoolers) and leaned up against the wall where I figured it out.

Vertigo.

Charlie stopped with me and stood by my side.

"Are you alright?" She asked sounding worried.

I simply shook my head in response. "I think I'm gonna pass out." I mumbled before closing my eyes and falling up against the wall.

Charlotte saying "Dammit Mel." Was the last thing I remember clearly. At least before I woke up in the school's front office with a paramedic standing over me.

"Hey Melissa." He said. "I'm Tyler and I'm just here to make sure you don't die." He paused. "Sorry, that was bad. Don't sit up yet." I sighed. "What do you remember?"

"I was walking to class with Charlotte and my vertigo took me down." I said looking at the ceiling.

"This has happened before?" He asked.

"Not at school but yeah I get vertigo a lot." I paused and then mumbled. "Just another thing that's my dad's fault."

"Oliver doesn't get vertigo." Tyler the paramedic replied suspiciously.

"Oliver's not my birth dad." I sighed. "I'm just a foster kid."

"Sorry," he apologized. "I should've known. I'm kinda the Queen's on call paramedic." He paused. "You can sit up now, just be careful." I nodded and slowly sat up.

"What time is it? How long was I out?" I asked.

"Just about fifteen minutes, but I can't let you go to class until a doctor is consulted." He replied, I smiled.

"Hey I've got no problem with not going to class." I laughed.

Tyler smiled. "Oliver's on his way. We called Felicity too but she didn't even pick up."

"That's not like her," I said slightly worried. "It's probably just the baby though." Tyler nodded.

"Have you guys thought of names yet?" he asked.

"Not really, Oliver's been really distant since Felicity told him, it just bothers me how he's been acting. But I want to name her after my birth mom, if it's a girl. If not I like Sean for a boy."

"Sean like Seen or Sean like Shawn?" Tyler asked about the spelling.

"Spelled S-E-A-N." I clarified. Tyler nodded and we sat a few minutes in silence before Oliver showed up.

"Melissa, sweetie, are you alright?" He asked as soon as he came in.

"Don't worry." I said. "I'm fine."

"She needs some rest and to see an actual doctor with a note before returning to school." Tyler said.

"Well, I guess we haven't been to STAR labs in a while. I'm sure Caitlin wouldn't mind." My dad replied. "Can I take her home now?"

The paramedic nodded. I slowly stood up trying not to trigger my vertigo again and followed Oliver outside to the car where I sat shotgun.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked Oliver, he wasn't always in a questioning mood.

"You already have." He joked.

"I'm serious." I said.

"Of course, what's up?" He replied now taking me seriously.

"You've just been really distant lately." I said. "It's been bothering me." I paused. "When was the last time the three of us sat down and ate together? Or you got enough sleep, or you surprised your pregnant wife with something nice?" I asked. "We're not a family without you."

"I'm sorry Mel." He apologized. "I guess I just do it without knowing by now. I never meant to cut you two off. And I actually made plans to spend next weekend with Felicity, not that she knows. I was gonna send you to stay in Central with Barry and Iris after the lacrosse game."

I smiled, maybe he hadn't done so much wrong.

"Make dinner tonight, whatever mom wants, and you'll be forgiven." I decided.

"Alright." Oliver replied. "I can do that."

"Great, so what did you have planned for next weekend?"

"Melissa, I love you but that's none of your business." My dad answered. I didn't push, when Oliver didn't want to talk it wasn't really worth trying to get it out of him.

"I love you too." I said purposely sounding somewhat fake. "Just don't bury yourself in being the green arrow for such a long time again, I can't watch over a complaining Felicity for another four months."

Oliver smiled. "I don't think I can take another four months."

"And it's only gonna get worse." I replied. "What are you two thinking for names?"

"Felicity seems hellbent on letting you choose. But you didn't hear that from me." He paused. "So can you tell me the gender?"

"Secret for secret?" I asked. "But do I really want to go against Felicity's will, and I know you'd never lie to her." I paused. "So no."

"But I wanna know." Oliver complained.

"Anyways, what if it's just a fake again? I wouldn't want to give you false hope." I said trying to come up with another excuse for not telling him. "But I definitely want you two to name the baby."

"Okay." Oliver said. "What do we tell Felicity when she asks why we're home early?"

"The truth?" I answered as a question.

"No way, I promised not to lie to her, but she's gonna lose it." Oliver replied

"I can handle it. And if we're gonna go to S.T.A.R. labs to run some tests it's the excuse we should be worried about."

"I can handle that one." Oliver answered me as we pulled into the driveway and headed inside.

» hey guys!! I'm back from my trip and I had lots of fun, but I really happy to be back so I can keep writing! I also just entered the first book in this series (Cyanide | New Beginnings) to the Wattys, so maybe I'll win something? Idk, a girl can dream, right? Anyways, I love hearing from you guys so don't forget to vote and comment (also it really helps if you guys comment where I didn't edit and point out plot holes and stuff, 'cause I'm a terrible editor). I promise to update soon and hopefully get back on schedule. love y'all!!

» holly