Stuck Abroad

New Home

"LONGVIEW SCHOOL is a one of several schools for abroad students sent by their parents to try living in a third world in Asia. Longview school itself was built in Indonesia since 1978 in a small town in Java." The girl inhales and turns herself from the announcement board, "So, freshmen, I mean fresh women," She paused and smiles, "This will be our school for the next three years in this town...and country." This blonde girl in front of me grins and her ocean blue eyes are shaded by her curving eyelids. Her pinkish lips curve perfectly and show her perfect line of teeth. Her name is Sasha McAllen - one pure Caucasian that is a pure best friend to me too.

"1978. So it has been 11 years since they built it. And it will be its first year with us in it. And it is so hot here! Tropical country is really different from Australia. Though it's not that far apart. I hope I haven't died before the graduation." May Cho- or preferably called little miss complainer - waves her paper into her direction maybe to cool her off. She rambles and talks about everything. And she means everything to me too.

The three of us have been together since elementary school. My name is Jane Page. I'm not that talkative like them for now. The surrounding makes me; it's not a familiar surrounding so as usual I consider observing than talking. I'm only a normal 16 years old girl who was sent here by my parents. Just like them. But I'm pretty sure my step-mother - a.k.a the wicked witch of Oz - persuades their parents to send them here. Maybe to accompany me - the 'obstacle'.

"Hey Jane! What are you doing there? Come on! We have to go to our dorm." Sasha is really interested with our dorm. Actually, it's just a normal dorm. Boys and girls are divided - of course. But what special is, they got a meeting building for boys and girls to meet. Well, I don't really care about this detail because I don't have any intention to meet boys here. I am one heartless girl, 'cause my heart was snatched and had already gone somewhere far far away. Click! I snap my hand. Focus! Not going to think about useless thing!

We walk into a building with red-brick wall and classic wooden window frame. They got concrete paths to its door. The building is like 3 cubes stuck together. The boys' dorm is in the left wing and the girls' dorm is in the right wing. The meeting room - as its purpose - snuck between them. The dorms' building are designed the same. But, outsiders can differ both of them easily.

Boys' dorm has a multi-purpose field. Even now, some of the boys have already played soccer and chatted together. In the other side, the girls' dorm has flowers in front of the building. - pink, yellow and red roses. There's a girl changing the original pink color curtain into a red and white polka dot for her room in the second floor.

We step on one of the 4 concrete steps - the rails are made up concrete too with a curled end at the bottom. The design of it is just like the one in New York's apartment in Hollywood's movies. We open the wooden door furnished with a colorful glasses in the middle. Sasha turns the golden knob to open it.

Whoa, I am fascinated.

The inside part of the dorm are coated by girlish wallpaper - pink with some flowers. Some girls in various ages wander around the hallway. I observe the first floor with Sash and May.

It has washing room in the left corner near the door to the meeting room. In front of it is a small kitchen with a dining table and a water dispenser. Besides the washing room and the kitchen are the rooms for inspectors - the doors are opened. The right side has sofa and vending machine.

"Put your bags and things in your room. All of your rooms are in the second and third floor." One of the inspectors gives us our first command. I turn my head to see her and I recognize her. She is one of the dorm's inspectors. Her face shows her origin - native of Indonesia. Besides her typical Eastern Asian face, I notice wrinkles from her falling cheeks and soggy eyes. Her attempts to camouflage them are just simply useless. Who would think blush-on and white - literally white - powder on tanned skin hide wrinkles? Mrs. Tanti got thin and sharp lips. From my past experience, those who has lips like that talks sharply too. Well, I hope that polished red lips aren't too sharp for me.