chapter | 11

"I don't trust her." William told Ashton as he had his dinner in his modern mansion. He then returned his utensils down on his plate and gently wiped his mouth,  "I could smell her betrayal from a mile away. Ungrateful bitch."

"We don't know that yet." Ashton tried to reason.

"Bullshit!" William sent his hand down the table, glaring at the younger one for a moment and then bursting into a laugh. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Ashton cleared his throat, feeling the dry air roughly going into his lungs. The smell of expensive cigar hung around the room and he hated every bit of it.

"Then what do you want me to do?" He asked.

A wicked smile stretched across William's face as he leaned back leisurely at his chair, "I want you to kill her the second she betrays me. I'll even give you the pleasure of choosing a method you prefer."

Ashton grimaced at the new command he was given. He has taken William's every word and lived by it but why does he waver before him now?

"Do you want to hear a story?" William suddenly spoke, leaning back into his seat, holding the cigar between his slim fingers, "You probably heard about this story but I'm gonna tell you anyway." He added with a smile, "It's a story about two brothers."

"Once upon a time, there were two brothers. They were raised as aristocrats and was disciplined by an authoritarian father." William moved the cigar towards the nearby ashtray, tapping it twice, "One day, one of the boys was chosen to replace their father as King; to take over the family's mafia business. He was the father's pride and joy. He never disappointed him. The other child looked up to the older twin brother, he was everything he can never be. All he ever brought to the family was nothing but dissatisfaction to their father."

"However, the younger twin loved his older brother but then he was painfully betrayed by the only person he trusted." A small smile was caught in William's lips. He looked up at Ashton's blank expression and assumed, "I see. Based on that apathetic look on your face, you did hear about this story before. Do you want me to continue?"

Ashton did not respond and William took it as his way of agreeing. The boy rarely talked anyway.

"I'll continue then." He said as he walked towards the liquor bar to pour himself something refreshing, "So when the older brother ran away, the younger one was left. That child wanted nothing to do with the family business but he couldn't break away. He was forced to deal with his father's cruelty. He had to obey in order to survive. That was how his life was ever since, a repetition of keeping himself alive, only living because he cannot die."

Ashton watched William drown the liquor down his throat, "Did you like that story?" William tilted his head in Ashton's direction, enjoying the unamused expression on his face, "Don't you even smile?"

"You should just order me to assassinate someone instead of asking me that question." Ashton said nonchalantly and then came to take the glass from William's clutch, "Just like drinking is a waste of energy."

William smiled softly at the boy, "Mingyu, you know I trust you the most, right?"

"You told me not to trust anyone, even you, then isn't this contradicting what you taught me?" The boy replied.

William smiled like a proud older brother. He always knew he was a smart one. He had the most potential out of his followers.