Fratboy Harry - Part 3

Five days. Five fucking days since the party.

When you and Harry had walked out of the bedroom together, nobody had seemed to notice, though you could feel the heat rising to your face. You'd exchanged numbers and Harry'd promised to call. Even then you'd taken his words with a grain of salt, acting nonchalant when you'd caught up with your friends and waved goodbye.

Then he'd texted you. That night. He'd claimed he was just making sure you'd gotten home alright, but you couldn't help but feel elated. You'd texted back and forth until you could barely keep your eyes open. He was really funny and made you laugh and feel at ease. You didn't want to get your hopes up, but you thought you could really like him.

Then nothing.

There was no phone call or text the next day. Okay, one day, no big deal. He might have been busy, you told yourself. The next day, Monday, still nothing. Same for the day after that, and the day after that. By Thursday you decided to just text him yourself.

Hi

One little word, but waiting for a response was agony. After starring at your phone for thirty minutes, you laid it face down on the bed and returned to your homework. Halfway through a History chapter, you heard your phone buzz. You sat up straight and reached for it, turning it over to see Harry's name displayed.

Hey

You narrowed your eyes. Just hey? No how are you, how've you been? No explanation as to why he hasn't called? Had he deleted your number and now couldn't even remember your name? You wanted to punch him through the phone, but you kept your calm.

How are you?

Ok. Been busy.

Oh. With school?

Yeah. Lots of homework and studying.

Okay, fine, you could relate to that. You'd been doing your share of studying too. But how hard is it to pick up the phone? Especially after the night you'd shared. You felt a sick feeling in your stomach as you texted back.

Yeah me too.

You watched the three dots come up indicating Harry was typing. You half expected him to brush you off, but you were surprised when you read what came up.

There's supposed to be another party this weekend. Are you going?

What? How were you going to respond to that? Was he asking you to go? Was he implying he'd like for you to? You decided to play it cool.

I'm not sure. Are you?

I don't know yet. I might.

Oh.

You had no clue what else to say. But Harry's next text felt like a kick in the gut.

Maybe I'll see you there?

Your chest shook as you let out a breath. You stared at your phone. You thought you might throw up.

Ok

You didn't bother to wait for a response. You threw your phone back on the bed and finished your homework, though you could barely concentrate.

It was definitely a brush off.

— —

"I don't know," said your best friend Mandy as she scrolled through your phone. "I don't think it's necessarily a brush off."

You and Mandy sat on a bench as she read over your text conversation with Harry. She was the only other person who knew what happened, but only because she was your best friend and because she'd practically begged you to give her the juicy details. Now you were regretting that decision.