Chapter Twenty-One: From Ivory

c h a p t e r t w e n t y o n e 

f r o m i v o r y

***

I was sweating rivers in the air-conditioned car – Aaron had taken it as his duty to drive me to the party, even though I didn't want him to. Aaron was looking quite handsome in his light blue shirt, tucked in smart black pants. He had shown up earlier with orchids at my door and we had a chat before leaving for the party.

I voiced out a sudden question that came to my mind, 'Hey Aaron? Who told you that I like orchids?'

Aaron smiled before answering, 'What makes you think that somebody must have told me?'

'Aaron.'

Aaron sighed, 'Okay, fine. Somebody suggested that I should bring orchids, because you love them.'

'And who is that somebody?'

'I don't tell on my informants.'

I rolled my eyes. 'Sebastian?'

'What?'

'Was it Sebastian?'

'No,' Aaron said, and I felt my chest deflating, 'Beth.'

'Oh.' Of course, it would be Beth. Why would Sebastian tell Aaron about my stupid choice in flowers? Bet you million dollars, Sebastian didn't even remember what my favourite flowers were.

'Yo Leah?' Sebastian called out as I hid a drag in my drawer. I opened the door to let him inside my room – my mom and dad had taken Ivory out for birthday shopping.

'Hey, how was your day?' I asked, trying not to be awkward as if I had been just caught smoking. However, Sebastian narrowed his eyes at me.

He stretched out his hand in front of me and I sighed. I went back to the cupboard and brought out the cigarette from my drawer. I put it back in his hand, not looking him in the eye.

'The next time I catch you smoking just because your parents are being shitty again, I will burn all your books.'

'Oh, I am so scared.' I said, feigning a scared look. Sebastian rolled his eyes and stretched out another hand. I raised an eyebrow at him.

'Your punishment for smoking is that you buy dinner for us tonight. C'mon, cough up and I will order Italian.'

I rolled my eyes and took some notes out from my pocket and thrust it in his hand.

After eating Sebastian's favourites consisting of a whole lot of bruschetta, Caprese salad, carpaccio and steak tartare, we were heading towards his house. Sebastian had a tendency of ordering food enough to feed a bunch of sharks, just when I was paying.

'Walk fast sloth.' Of course Sebastian, ever the athletic one, was walking faster than me. When we reached his room, the familiar scent of socks, rotten pizzas and soda greeted us. My lungs went into dormancy every time I went into his room.

'I got this for you.' Sebastian said brightly and pointed to an orchid plant sitting on the window pane.

'You remembered?' I grinned.

'Of course,' Sebastian said briskly, 'Happy birthday, Leah.'

'Were you listening to anything what I said in the past few minutes?' I heard Aaron's voice and looked at him giving him a blank look.