Chapter 6 - The Cliffside

Start from the beginning

"I'm pretty sure it's not or I wouldn't be here."

He shrugs then leans back in his chair, stretching and yawning. I try my best not to look at his abs.

I really try.

+++

"Let's do something," Zeke says before moving me from 'his' spot on the couch.

"Like what?" I settle into the seat beside him.

"I don't know... Let's go a walk."

"No."

"Why not?" He frowns and lies down, putting his head on my lap.

I try to push him off but he doesn't budge. "You're grounded."

"So?"

"So you can't go out."

"You're supposed to be making sure I don't do anything bad. If you're with me then you'll be doing your job."

I push him off me again and pull my legs up to my chest. "I don't know."

"Come on, nerd. Don't be such a lame-ass."

"I'll ask your mom."

He shoots up straight. "Seriously?"

I take out my phone and begin texting Evelyn. "Yep."

"Are you legitimately being serious right now?"

I ignore him and wait for her reply. A couple of minutes later, she texts me back saying it's fine, as long as he doesn't see any of his other friends.

I stand up. "Okay, let's go."

+++

"Where are you taking me?" I ask, breathing heavily from our walk through the woods. I've already tripped and fell twice.

Zeke found it hilarious.

"Just exploring. Why? You worried i'm gonna murder you?" He looks back at me with a smirk.

"No. I'm worried you're gonna drag me out here then run away and i'll be lost out here and die."

He stops walking and looks at me. "You really think i'd do that?"

I get to where he's standing and stop too. "Yes," I admit.

He frowns and tilts his head slightly to the side. Just as he's about to say something, his phone rings.

He takes it from his pocket and stares blankly at the screen.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"My Dad," he says weakly, all the usual confidence in his voice vanished.

He puts his phone into his pocket and starts walking again.

"Aren't you gonna answer?"

"No."

"Why not?" I catch up to him.