Science Bros Begin

Start from the beginning

The students stood up and walked out of the gymnasium, led by Tony. He had been sitting in the back of the auditorium, so it was super easy to get out and make his way to the front of the crowd so he didn't have to do any waiting. He was followed by several girls who were practically swooning over him, hoping to get an autograph or a kiss, or really just anything. Most of them had never been in the presence of someone with such a celebrity status. Tony wasn't annoyed though, he was happy that people were appreciating him for his awesomeness.

After a walk through the halls of the school, attracting quite a bit of a attention, Tony reached his first period classroom. "I am sorry ladies, but I must depart. I have school to attend to. But I promise, I will see you all later." He winked and turned from them, not waiting to hear them say goodbye. Now it was time to enter his first period class, Honors Biology.

It took several minutes for all the students to arrive, but as soon as the seats were filled, the teacher in the front began speaking. "Hello freshman. I'm Mr. Hurte, and I am your Honors Biology teacher." Mr. Hurte was tall, skinny man wearing a dark brown suit. He had almost no hair left, and his glasses were taking up half his face. "Why don't you guys take some time to get to know each other and make new friends." He smiled and walked over to his desk, leaving the students to converse amongst themselves.

Tony turned to the boy with curly brown hair and glasses sitting next to him. "Hello I'm-"

"Tony Stark. Yep I know who you are."

"Well nice to meet you then," Tony said sarcastically. "Can I ask you your name?"

"I'm Bruce, Bruce Banner." Technically his name was Robert, but he preferred Bruce. "You know, you have a bunch of people lined up behind you to meet you." Bruce adjusted his glasses and glanced behind Tony where seven honors biology students were standing with their notebooks in hand. He couldn't help but to think about how those students were more interested in getting some kid their own age to scribble his name down on their notepads, than they were to learn some biology. How sad for them.

Tony turned around and took out a black sharpie from his pencil case. "Don't worry, you can all meet me. We have all year." He smiled and stood to sign each of their books. Bruce didn't give him a second glance, weird, he has never had anyone treat him like "just another student" before. It was... different. Maybe he would even call it nice. He loved the attention from others, but having someone treat him like he was nothing more than another high school student almost felt good.

"Hey Bruce. You wanna hang out after school?" Tony asked sort of impulsively. His father was away on business so he didn't have to worry about who he had over. Besides, maybe making a friend who wasn't going to try and get his autograph or picture every five seconds was a good idea.

Bruce looked up and gave him a weird look. This was sort of a strange situation for him, Bruce had always been seen as the nerd, and never ever had a popular kid actually asked him to hang out. Sure, maybe they were just freshman in high school, but he knew he was the nerd when he was beating all the eight graders in academic competitions as a fourth grader. He also knew he was the nerd when those same eighth graders dunked his head in the toilet for beating them in those competitions. "Nah, I've already got plans," Bruce lied, fearing the same sort of situation. He thought that Tony might just be asking him to hang out so he could make fun of him or torture him, it wouldn't be something out of the ordinary in his life. Tony's genuinely sad reaction to his rejection of the invite made him think that he possibly was too quick to judge.

"Ok, ok class everyone sit down." Mr. Hurte said, cutting off Bruce from his thoughts. He stood up in front of the class and smiled. "Let's do a little bit a bio. Now I want to remind you, these are some very simple questions. I expect you all to be raising your hand to answer them. if you don't then you are going to have some trouble in this class." He turned around and wrote a question on the board. "Who knows the answer to this question." Tony raised his hand just before Bruce did. "Mr. Stark." He pointed to Tony.

"That would be the chloroplast." Tony smiled and leaned back in his seat. This was fourth grade level bio. He could literally answer these questions in his sleep.

Bruce looked over at Tony, who looked like he just made a big accomplishment, despite this question being extremely simple. He wasn't sure whether or not this meant Tony was smart, or he just knew his plants. He shrugged it off and watched as Mr. Hurte erased the question and wrote another on the board.

"How about this one." He pointed to the board and smiled. Tony raised his hand just before Bruce again. "Again, Mr. Stark."

"That is the mitochondria." Tony smiled, making sure to look over a Bruce, hoping the boy would notice his knowledge of biology.

"Very good, Tony." Mr. Hurte turned back to the board while Bruce leaned over to Tony and whispered to him.

"Wow, I guess you actually aren't as dumb as I figured you would be." He smirked and Tony looked at him. That was a risky thing for him to say to the most popular kid in school, but he was beginning to get a good feeling about Tony.

"Well how do you expect I got in this class?"

He looked nervously at Tony. "I figured your daddy payed them to get you in," Bruce said mockingly.

Tony smiled and laughed. "That's a pretty good one Bruce!" He patted him on the shoulder and looked back to the board. Over friendly? Maybe. But Tony didn't care. This was his chance at a friendship, a real friendship.

The bell rang just as Mr. Hurte was finishing up a third question. "Looks like class is over. It was a very short one today, but expect it to be longer tomorrow. And be prepared to learn! Enjoy the rest of your day!" Mr. Hurte walked back to his desk and waved his hand a bit sending the students flying out of the classroom.

Tony waited for Bruce to get his books and walked out of the classroom with him. Just as they got into the hallway, Bruce looked down at his phone and pretended to text someone. "Looks like me plans after school just got canceled." He smiled and looked at Tony. "Am I still welcome to hang out with the marvelous Tony Stark?" Bruce asked with a mix of sincerity and sarcasm.

Tony laughed and looked at Bruce. "You have my permission, sir," he said sarcastically. This was good. This was probably actually his first hangout that wouldn't involve any promiscuous activity or drinking. Bruce just didn't seem like he wanted either of those things.

"Can I see your schedule?" Bruce asked, breaking the silence between them while gesturing to the paper Tony was holding in his left hand. He handed it over to Bruce and he compared their schedules. "Dam..." He frowned and handed Tony back his schedule. "Looks like we only have Bio and Lunch together."

Tony smiled, "Hey look at the bright side." He looked at Bruce. "We can be science bros!" They both laughed as they walked to their second period classes.