Chapter 13 - Halloween Superstar

After Sam was done counting the stock, she made some spaghetti before Timo came over. He was going to help her get ready for the dance and then Kevin would pick them up later. As soon as her friend rang the bell and she opened the door, he started yelling at her, "why aren't you wearing your costume?"

"I was waiting for you." And I only just finished my dinner she added in her thoughts. They had an hour to get ready, which was way more time than she needed. Timo thought otherwise.

"Get your butt up there young lady," he tried to be stern, "so I can get to work on your hair and make-up." Sam didn’t even respond to that and just went upstairs, Timo trailing behind her. She grabbed the costume from her closet, the green leggings and got changed in the bathroom.

“Love your costume, by the way,” she yelled from behind the closed door.

“Thanks.” Timo was dressed as Karl Lagerfeld, but without the white hair. He was even wearing the sunglasses and gloves. She wondered how he was going to be able to see anything at the dance later. But that was his problem and if he happened to bump into anything, she wouldn’t hesitate to laugh at him.

When Sam had managed to squeeze into the tights, she opened the door so Timo could work his magic on her. Timo dragged in a chair and pushed her onto it, before starting to put Sam’s make-up and curling iron on the sink. He knew better than her where everything was as she very rarely used any of it.

So while the curler was heating up, he applied her make-up. Meanwhile his mouth didn’t stand still, filling Sam in on all the school gossip. Like she cared that Michael had been cheating on his boyfriend with his girlfriend and vice versa. But there was no stopping him; she didn’t even get the chance to tell him about what happened earlier in the day. How she has a date with Ace.

“Done,” Timo stopped his rattling. Sam had to admit, he was good. He had curled her hair and put it in some complicated updo she would never be able to recreate. Leaving some strands to fall loose around her face, making it more casual. The most attention was drawn to her eyes. Timo had managed to create the best green/brown smoky eye-look. For once her eyes weren’t dull and flat, but vibrant. The rest he had kept very simple, with just some clear lip-gloss. This all with fifteen minutes to spare.

“You are a miracle worker,” Sam complimented him. She would definitely ask for his help again, when she was going on that date.

“Sam,” they heard her grandpa yell.

“Yeah?”

“Come in here. I want to see how you look.” So Sam and Timo made their way into the kitchen. Her grandpa was sitting at the table, eating some of the spaghetti she made earlier. He looked her up and down, even motioned with his finger to twirl around, so she did. Looking back at him, she saw him nodding in approval. “Very beautiful,” he smiled, “be sure to take lots of pictures.”

“Oh we will.” Timo showed him his small camera, right as the bell rang downstairs.

Before they could rush outside her grandpa added, “Have fun tonight. Don’t make it too late, Sam.” She loved how much freedom he gave her. Certainly now she was almost eighteen. He knew he could trust her and that she would be careful.