Chapter 11 - Hopelessly Dateless

“And?” Cherise asked Sam the following morning. Sam so didn’t want to have this conversation. Being rejected, even just online, was very humiliating.

“I asked him,” Sam told her friends, while grabbing her books out of her locker.

“And?” Timo was jumping up and down impatiently on her other side. They were even more excited than her of the prospect of meeting Guitarboy. But sadly they would have to be disappointed.

“He can’t come.” Sam didn’t meet her friends’ eyes, avoiding the pity looks. She didn’t understand, first he was all about meeting her and the things he wanted to do. He was so sweet. She could literally melt away. When he said or rather typed all those words, she could almost feel him, wishing it was all true. But then suddenly he couldn’t.

“What?” Cherise nearly screamed Sam’s ears off. She loved her friend, but Cherise really needed to work on stopping with all the loud and high noises. It drew way too much attention from people who had no business in her personal life.

“He said he has to work that night,” Sam whispered to her friend, hoping Cherise would follow in her example and lower her voice.

Timo hugged her sideways with one arm, trying to comfort her. “If it makes you feel any better, I’ve got a date,” he told her. Like how in the world would that ever make her feel any better. Now she really was the only one without a date. It was moments like these when she felt so small, knowing no boy wanted her. The dance was going to be a disaster. She going to be the fifth wheel with these two happy couples. Timo ignored her inner turmoil and continued explaining how Kevin had asked him out, how sweet he was, bla bla bla. Give her a barf bag. She knew she was in full pity party mode, but she couldn’t help herself.

“Ooh, Sam,” Cherise cooed, “We’ll find someone for you.” The last thing Sam wanted was her friends feeling sorry for her.

“Doesn’t matter guys.” She pretended. “It’s not the end of the world. I’ll just go alone.” So it might not be the end of the world, but going once again alone, wasn’t a pleasant feeling either. If the best she could do was Thomas or Jack, she might as well kill herself right now. “Look I’ve got to get to class, I’ll see you guys later.” Timo removed his arm and she was gone.

The rest of the day went by pretty quietly. Everyone was talking about the Halloween dance this weekend, what costume they were going to wear and then of course the dates. So yeah maybe this day was kind of very depressing. Her mind was so filled with thoughts about Guitarboy; she didn’t even notice Jack was trying to get her attention by throwing notes on her desk or even when Thomas sat at the desk next to her. She was oblivious to the world. Guitarboy seemed so genuine online, but she wondered if it was real. He was so eager to meet her. She didn’t really believe his excuse that he had to work. It was Halloween, so everyone was going to party. To be honest she didn’t know what he did for work, so maybe he was telling the truth. He talked about school and people who went to college often had waiting jobs. Okay so maybe he was telling truth. Oh she didn’t know what to think anymore.

When the last bell of the day rang, she hurried out of the room. Approaching her locker she saw some flowers taped against it. She looked around to see who left them, but all she saw was Timo walking her way. There was a card tucked in between the beautiful pink roses.