Chapter 12 - Boyfriend? Date? Kiss?

For the rest of the week nothing too special happened. Sam and Guitarboy were back to their old ways and the possible face-to-face meet never came up again. At school everything got crazier. Everyone was super excited for the Halloween dance. Jack even managed to corner Sam three times, trying to ask her to the dance. One of those times Thomas saved her, when he and Jack started fighting. Thomas also wanted to go to the dance with her. By now it was Saturday and Sam had made peace with the fact she wouldn’t have a date for tonight.

Sam was helping her grandpa in the store by checking the stock in the back. Well actually she was more talking on the phone with Timo about tonight than counting boxes.

“Sam, come and help!” Grandpa interrupted her call.

Sam walked back to the front, while wrapping up her conversation with Timo. “Well you’ve got somebody to go with. Talk to you later.” Her friend was still trying to find a date for her.

Sam saw Jack standing next to her grandfather. He was actually wearing his varsity jacket outside of school. That jock! Jack hadn’t seen her yet, so Sam tried to hide. But before she could duck behind the music books rack, Jack caught her and walked up to her.

“What do you want?” she sneered.

Instead of answering her question, he leaned in close. Sam wanted him out of her personal space, but she wasn’t one to back down and crossed her arms in defiance.

“You,” he smiled sweetly, like that was all it would take to convince her. That idiot.

“No,” she smiled sweetly back, “Is that all? Bye.”

Before she could walk away, Jack grabbed her and pulled her against his chest. “Come on. I know you don’t have a date. So why don’t go with me?”

Was this guy for real? Like what he was doing right now should change her mind. “I don’t like you,” she tried to reason with him.

But Jack wasn’t about to give up. “Sam, listen…”

She tried to get away from him, but he had her in an iron grip. “Let me go.” Trying to pull away, but that only made him clamp down harder. That was going to leave a bruise.

“No Sam,” Jack lowered his voice, sounding all menacing, “you listen.”

“No you listen.” Jack’s body obscured Sam’s view, but he turned them around to see who dared to interrupt him. Before her stood Ace, Brian and Van with their arms crossed. Boy did they look pissed. They were shooting daggers at Jack, but that boy was totally oblivious.

Brian dropped his arms and took a threatening step towards Jack. “Let Sam loose,” he gritted through his teeth. Sam saw Brian clenching his fists, like he was ready to punch someone. Okay she had to admit, he looked kind of hot that way. His sleeves were rolled up so she could see the muscles tense in his forearms. There was definitely something attractive about a guy standing up for you.

“And walk away,” Ace joined Brian. He too looked like he was about to explode.

And what did that idiot Jack do? He laughed. That was right, he was laughing in their faces. “Well aren’t you the tough guys. Now if you’ll excuse me, we were in the middle of something,” and turned his back at them.

Jack didn’t see the anger that flashed through Brian’s eyes or he might have started to worry. But Van did see it and placed his hand on Brian’s upper arm to hold him back.

“Sam, please go to the dance with me tonight,” Jack pleaded.

Seriously? If she could and if it wouldn’t hurt so much, Sam would be banging her head against the wall in frustration. She really didn’t know what else she could to get away from Jack. Luckily the cavalry was here. Ace grabbed Jack’s shoulder and turned him back around.