Chapter 20

Harry P.O.V. -

Today I was finally going to be allowed to go home. After grueling recovery time, tests, and last minute check ups to make sure I truly had a clean bill of health, the doctors signed the papers and told Mum I was free to go. Louis and Mum were waiting outside the door for me. Taking one last glance around the room, I gave a small smile. This room had built up a few memories in the two weeks that I had been here. Dr. Matthews claimed my memory should fully return in a matter of days now based on my progress so far.

A small place in my heart warmed at the excitement of thinking I could finally remember Louis and I. Ever since he had kissed me two days ago, he was all I could think about. That boy was intoxicating. Everything about him screamed perfection, and I honestly couldn't figure out why. When I stepped out of the room, Louis had a critical look on his face.

"What are you contemplating?" I laughed.

"Oh just thinking about stuff..." he dwindled off.

"What kind of stuff?" I prodded again.

"Nothing really just...just worrying that you won't remember in time."

"Oh? What am I supposed to be remembering?"

"Nothing really, just oursixmonthanniversary," he purposely bled his words together so I couldn't understand him.

"If it's nothing why are you trying to keep me from knowing?" my words challenged.

"I know it's really stupid, but I'm just worried you won't remember our six month anniversary," he said. His face was crestfallen, and I opened my mouth slightly. I had no idea the anniversary was soon.

"W-when is it?" I asked and cleared my throat.

"The twenty fourth of this month, so in ten days." I grabbed his hand in mine and patted it gently.

"Just have faith that I'll remember because that's all we've got to cling to anymore, right?" I reassured him. Louis gave a sad nod in reply. A light bulb went off in my head of a sure-fire way to cheer him up. Punching him playfully on the arm, I revealed my idea. "How about we go get some bagels and smoothies across the street?"

Louis face lit up with acceptance. My mother mouthed that it was okay for us to go. With her permission he and I made our way across the street to the local eatery. We ended up with a strawberry-mango smoothie, strawberry-pineapple smoothie, two blueberry bagels, and one plain bagel to share. Hesitantly, Louis attempted to grab my free hand as if to say "is this okay?" Of course I let him take my hand willingly as he led me to someplace quote unquote special.

"This is it, isn't it?" I gasped as I checked the place out.

"Yeah, it's where we almost had our first kiss, it's where you confessed about your disorder, where we had your birthday date under the stars, and it's what led to..." Louis cut himself off awkwardly and cleared his throat. Why did he shut himself up? Oh well, I shrugged and took the last bite of my bagel.

"I figured if any place could jog your memory quicker it would be here." Louis carried a blue blanket and spread it across the grass. He patted the seat next to him, and I gladly accompanied him on the soft blanket. I innocently ran my fingers across the soft blanket; that was when the visions exploded in my mind.

Intimate kisses, heated bodies, the overwhelming sense of love and passion on the blanket. I dropped my smoothie causing it to spill all over the grass. Somewhere I heard Louis curse, but I paid no attention because of the movie playing inside my head. Too many memories were flooding in: meeting Louis's family, the origami rose, the date beneath the stars, and the minor verbal abuse throughout it all, the almost intimacy, and then... the screaming. The visions in my mind altered dramatically as it turned from a scene straight out of the R rated movies into a horror show. It was Louis being tossed across the room; the sound of his ribs cracking. The terrified look in his eyes, the way he crashed into the stand and smacked his head into the lamp, the way his blood painted the floor and the horrific scene that was left.