Chapter 3

Harry P.O.V. –

As we sat there munching on our pasta, breadsticks, and salad, I found myself staring at Louis periodically. Mentally, I slapped myself. What was wrong with me?! I had never stared at anyone like this before, and certainly not a boy! The way I was looking at him… that was the way I was supposed to look at girls. I’d seen the movies; The Notebook, the Titanic, Love Actually. I remember the way the boys looked at the girls, and what they thought about and how softly they spoke, and suddenly… I found my thoughts of the movies mingling with thoughts of Louis. Fuck, shit, damn, Harry! What are you doing?! You don’t like boys…do you? I mean… never thought about a boy like that. But then again didn’t think about a girl like that either. I haven’t thought about anyone that way ever, I thought silently.

“Hey Harry, what were you…uh… thinking about?” Louis called. Embarrassed, I snapped to attention.

“Oh nothing at all,” I said simply. Louis put his fork down and looked at me, head tilted to the side. “What? What is it?” I began to panic, searching my face for bits of food or a pimple or anything.

“Harry, no that’s not what I’m looking at you for,” Louis laughed.

“Then, then what is it?” I gulped down my fear. I still had that gnawing in my stomach, that constant fear of rejection. Louis paused a moment, as if gathering up courage, before he spoke.

“Harry, are you gay?” he asked so simply and calmly that I couldn’t help but choke on the water I was sipping.

“Wha-what?” I said shakily.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to… I just had to know.”

“Well I-I-I…” I paused and thought for a moment. I let out a sigh, “I don’t know. I’ve never been in a relationship with a guy… or a girl for that matter.”

“Well, since I’ve made you feel awkward. I guess I’ll make myself feel awkward too. See what I’m trying to say here Harry is that I had ulterior motives in asking you here.”

“What? What do you mean?” I gasped, the tears beginning to build.

“I have to confess, the “urgent” reason Niall left was because I asked him to. I wanted to spend some time with you…alone. Because… because well, I like you Harry,” he blurted. I just sat there with my mouth gaping open. SAY SOMETHING YOU IDIOT! I commanded.

“I... well I like you too Louis,” I supplemented. Louis shook his head.

“No, Harry, I mean I like you. As in,” he paused as he stood up from his side of the booth and slid in next to me, “I would very much like to this…” My breathing became rapid as Louis’s eyes fluttered shut. His body was close to mine as he leaned in, and I… well I just let him lean in. Our lips met and it was like a fire sparked in my chest. Kissing him was like lying on the beach with the sun shining down and the waves crashing with a cool breeze ruffling your hair… it was perfect. His lips tasted like candy and a hint of the pasta he had just been eating. My brain couldn’t even keep up with what was happening. So I let my heart take over. I leaned into the kiss, kissing him back. My hand found its way to his chest, resting just over his heart. The steady rhythm made me feel at home as we moved to its beat.

Slowly, Louis broke away. I pulled back and blinked rapidly several times. A red blush crept its way onto my cheeks as I looked up at Louis, who was grinning from ear to ear. Nervously, I scratched behind my ear.

I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. All I could do was look at Louis. “So… how was that, Harry? Hmmm? Do you like boys now?” he whispered seductively into my ear. I gasped and pushed him back, giggling like a school-girl.