Twenty Seven | Takes a Monster

Evan

Amberley had a fire in her eyes that made my whole body hot. At this moment, she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful. I stepped away from her as she regarded her father, my presence forgotten.

I wanted nothing more than to make the bastard feel nothing but the pain he had inflicted on her but I had a feeling Amberley could do that and better.

With a flick of her wrist, her father was jerked upward and was suspended in midair, yelling and groaning.

"Once upon a time, there was a happy little girl. Then she grew up to be a monster," Amberley started.

She crunched her left hand into a fist and I felt a intense power grip the kings body. He screamed and writhed. I had a feeling Amberley was inflicting all the pain she ever felt right back onto him. She unclenched her fist and he sagged.

"Amberley, I'm your father. Don't do this, I'm your own flesh and blood! If you kill me, you'll never know your real power. You'll never know what I gave you. You'll never know the truth." He pleaded. I sneered and clenched my fist, regarding Amberley in case I needed to intervene.

She only ignored him and raised her fist. Her hand closed together slowly and I heard the King choke. I watched as her powers wrapped around his neck and squeeze. His eyes bulged from his head and his hands grasped at the power he couldn't touch.

I stepped forward. "This won't help you, Amb. If you kill him, you'll never forgive yourself." The life slowly was draining from the kings eyes as she suffocated him.

"I don't care," she said, not even looking at me.

"You'll feel like a monster."

She only smiled a wicked smile that was like the edge of a knife. "It takes a monster to kill a monster."

With that, she snapped her fist together. I heard a sickening crunch as the kings neck snapped in half. His eyes lost life and his body sagged. Amberley dropped her hands and his body dropped to the ground with a thud.

Amberley's eyes were cold and her body was tense. I was scared to even move, would she blow up, would she sob, would she run away?

~

The trip back to Clandestine was a taxing one. Amberley was as still as a statue, staring at her father's corpse for hours. Then she broke down and ran away and landed into a small creek.

She kept muttering about how it's the only thing that was real. I had to pull her out of the water, her kicking a screaming before she gave up and let me scoop her up in my arms.

When we arrived at the hole, she freaked out, saying she would never go back in there as long as she lives. She then proceeded to call me every name in the book as I dragged her to the open hole.

She currently was gripping the grass and flowers of the meadow, refusing to come with me into the now open hole.

"I'm not going!" She screamed, furiously gripping a patch of weeds stubbornly as I tried to pull her by her feet.

"But you have to! They need you down there!" I argued. She shook her head and closed her eyes as if the past events were replaying before her eyes.

"He might of had some soldiers scoping the area. They might have found his body already and are tracking us," I say," if they find this hole, we all die."

She shut her eyes tighter, taking this in. "You're stronger than this, Amb. Common you know you have to come."

She opened her eyes and I was struck with the intense blue. "Who are you? I don't know anything about you yet I love you. I would go down a giant hole with you."

My stomach drops. "I'm Evan Conway. Nothing special."

She regards me cooly before standing and brushing herself off. "Liar."

She stalks away and climbs down the ladder and into the elevator. I follow suit, anxiety eating away at me.

Amberley is sitting on the floor, furiously scrubbing at the mud caked to her arms and legs. I sit by her and watch as the hole closes and the elevator descends.

She seems to give up on the grime and collapses back with a huff.

"I killed him. I killed my own father," she said as if it just dawned upon her.

"I know."

She puts her face in her hands which seem to be shaking slightly.

"I'm a monster."

I turn and pull her small body towards mine. She doesn't complain as I embrace her, stroking the back of her head soothingly. I fingered the black locks.

"I think I've become insane. I jumped in a creep. I'm really cold now. Why did I do that?"

"Why does anyone do anything?" I say, dropping her hair. Maybe those words weren't the best choice.

"I'm sorry I ruined your visit. I ruin everything for some reason," she said sincerely.

"Your so selfless, Amb. More people need to be like you."

~

As soon as we emerged, we were greeting my a large crowd, all patiently waiting our return. Amberley stared ahead blankly.

The group took in Amberley's appearance and looked on with wide eyes and open mouths.

She walked through the crowd, and away from me. They parted for her silently. I pushed through the people but the opening closed, blocking Amberley from my sight.

"Get out of my fucking way!" I hissed.

They parted for me but I didn't go to Amberley. She was different now, she no longer was afraid to turn into a monster. I had to stop her before she ruined everything. She was dangerous now and nothing was holding her back anymore.

I walked to the secluded hallway and pulled my communication device out of the hidden compartment.

My mind was clear as I pressed the button.

"Sterling..." my fathers voice said sternly.

"Hello, father."

"I assume you've changed your mind. Are you ready to devote yourself entirely to the Iniquitous?"

I sighed and clenched my fist. "I'm ready. What do you need me to do?"

"First of all, you need to kill Amberley Da Ville. Then you must go to the elevator. Clandestine will fall sometime tomorrow, you must be ready to evacuate."

I nodded and furrowed my eyebrows. "Will anyone live?"

"No, only you."

I pondered this. So many lives, all because of me. I would get a world if I did this, I doubt I will even remember Amberley and Clandestine in a few years of supreme power.

This was a sacrifice I had to make, to be all powerful. And to be all powerful, I had to be unfeeling.