Twenty Four | Be Notorious

Amberley

The interrogation room was my least favorite place in Clandestine. I had been here at least fifteen times in the past week and had a minor panic attack just at the sight of the fifteen or so Unfeeling.

They were snivelers, constantly sobbing and refusing to speak unless they saw there families. What they couldn't grasp was that we couldn't find there families unless they talked. And without Evan present, we really had no one to intimidate them.

Joshua waited for me outside the door separating the observing room and holding cell. He sent me a small smile as I entered.

"I hear Evan has rejoined society."

"He couldn't last any longer without a female telling him how much they love his hair," I joke.

Joshua smiles as he turns to our prisoners. He's been doing that a lot lately. He would watch them for hours at a time as if they were a puzzle he just had to solve.

"Remember one thing Amberley. These aren't the same people that killed Eli."

I nodded and observed the group. They sure looked like the same people. The only one of them who wasn't blubbering like a fool was the leader who sat stone rigid in the front of the group. He was a middle aged man with greying hair.

"I'm going in."

"Good luck."

I nodded once before pushing open the door with caution. Fifteen male heads snapped to mine and recognition seemed to flash in their eyes. They were quiet as they regarded me. I couldn't help but feel terrified. These were trained killers.

"Welcome Princess Amberley, the destroyer of armies," the leader called sarcastically.

I cocked an eyebrow, making sure to keep my face devoid of all emotion.

"Maybe we should focus on the smaller picture, like the lot of you in this room."

The leader chuckled and turned to his men. "Listen to her, still talking like the perfect princess she is. What makes you think she could ever help us?"

Anger surged through me. I narrowed my eyes and stepped toward the chained men. "Help you? You're lucky we don't make you beg to have you're feelings taken back away. Are you forgetting your currently sitting in a Institute filled with human torture devises?"

"We were the Iniquitous's elite squad. We know a lot more than the average Unfeeling solider. If you kill us, you'll never get your revenge."

"Revenge? I don't want revenge, I want to free my people. Give them safety."

The leader chuckled dryly. "Screw safety. Be notorious."

"I don't want to be notorious either. Unlike your master, my goals are to actually help people not become all powerful. So no I don't want to be notorious."

"Why not? You have your rebellion, you have your pretty face, you have your heritage, you have your voice. Deep down, you know you want to be queen."

I crossed my arms. "In the world I fight for, there will be no queen. Everyone one will be equal."

"Equal? In the world that we live in, there's the mortals, the Unfeeling, and the powerful magic users. There never will be an equal world."

I closed my eyes and sucked in a breath. "We may not ever be equal, but we will be free."

The leader seemed to be unable to command a argument because he turned to his men and smiled. "Our Queen boys, I think she's a keeper."