Chapter Thirteen: Bruised, broken and breakdowns.

Recap: 

I looked down at myself and saw that my top had been ripped off me and there were purple and black bruises already showing. My breasts had bruised hand marks on them and I felt sick, thinking about what he could have done to me when I passed out.  “What did you do to me.” I whispered, barely legible.

Jacob looked down at me with a sickly sweet smile. “I’m just getting started, baby.”

***********

Tears were running hot down my face as I came to the realization of what was about to happen. I was still a virgin and I didn’t want that to be taken away by me by someone I didn’t love. Especially by Jacob. I thought about my friends and my family and how I was probably going to die here tonight and I would never see them again. 

 I tried so hard to stop myself from crying, as it hurt my ribs too much to breathe in deeply. My breaths were coming in short as I tried to beg Jacob to stop, but I could hardly say a word. My breath caught in my mouth and a wave of trauma and despair filled my body as I saw what Jacob was doing. Jacob was undoing his top button of his jeans and pulling down his fly about to take off his pants.

The pain of my broken bones, the cuts and bruises was nothing compared to the dread and hate I had for Jacob and how much I wished I could be anywhere but here. This was not the way I wanted to die. I wanted to get married, have children, grow old and get grandchildren. I was filled with regret as I though about how this all happened because of my stupid, stupid transformation. 

It was getting harder and harder for me to breathe. My breaths were short and desperate and blood was rushing to my head, making me fill dizzy and blurring my vision. I could see Jacob lean down towards me and I felt like I was slowly slipping away.

“Lola?” I heard Sam’s voice call out, bringing me back temporarily from the darkness. I could hear his footsteps walking into the girls’ locker rooms.  Jacob instantly got off me, swearing and ran out the back exit of the locker rooms jumping through the window. I tried to call out to Sam for help, but nothing came out. I was too weak and I just wanted the pain to end, so I finally succumbed to the tempting darkness that was clouding my mind.

 Intense pain soared through my chest, crushing my ribs over and over again. “LOLA!” STAY WITH ME, LOLA, STAY WITH ME.”  Barely conscious, I let myself slip away to end the pain. 

***

I woke up to a dull beeping coming from my left. What is that annoying sound? Where am I? “Oh my god.” I heard a familiar voice say. Mum’s voice. “SHE’S AWAKE. DOCTOR SHE’S AWAKE!” Realising I was in a hospital, I looked over to see mum standing next to me practically jumping on me and showering me with kisses and hug. Pain shot through my body, but not nearly as much as I had expected. 

The memories from last night flooded back to me as I remembered what had happened to me. “You’ve been in a coma for a week, honey.” Mum said, stroking my hair. “Hang on, I’m just going to call your father. Sam will be here any minute now, he’s been coming in everyday after school and sitting by your bed until the nurses kick him out. He saved your life, by the way. If he didn’t make it and perform CPR on you, you would have been a goner.” Mum said, tears brimming her eyes. 

Like clockwork, Sam walked through the door of the hospitals. When our eyes met, my heart skipped a beat and started racing, which was really embarrassing as it came out on the monitor, but Sam didn’t even seem to notice. Sam’s hair was messy and his eyes were puffy and tired and he looked extremely stressed. Remembering mum was in the room, I looked to her and she nodded and slipped out the door.

Sam dropped his bag and ran to the side of my bed. He leant down and held me so close and tenderly, like he was being extremely careful of me. I felt his tears fall onto my shoulder and I realized he was crying. “I thought I had lost you forever. I’m so, so sorry I let this happen to you, Lola. I’ll never forgive myself and I’ll understand if you don’t ever want to speak to me again.” Sam said, looking deeply into my eyes.