Page 6

“Who is she?” The younger voice asked, now sounding closer.

                I turned around, resting my elbows on the fence and smiled at the younger version of Shikaku. “Shikamaru right?” I questioned, though he didn’t respond. “Well, as for your question I’m the kid you’re parents practiced on so they didn’t screw you up.” I answered with a broad smile as I watched the confused genin look at his father.

                “I see you’ve gotten better at being sneaky Kit.” Shikaku said giving me about the same look he did when my father brought me to Christmas dinner dressed like a fairy.

                “You’re telling me.” I grumbled and pushed my hood down.

                “Shikamaru, this is Kitto Hagane. She and her mother moved to Kusagakure seventeen years ago.” Shikaku told his son and I saluted him simply because I could.

                “Are you sure you didn’t screw her up?” Shikamaru asked his father, setting me on edge.

                “Let me tell you something boy!” I snapped and got in his face. “I started training with Kakashi Hatake the year after he graduated from the academy and only because at three years old I had very good balance. He taught me more than the basics so when I got to Kusagakure I was taking out even Chunin! I graduated from the academy at seven and became a Jonin and ANBU ninja at eleven. Yeah I made a pretty messed up decision five years later but-.” Someone cut me off.

                “Yeah, I heard about that.” Shikaku said, drawing my attention away.

                “Does everyone know about that? No one here was ever supposed to find out!” I exclaimed in frustration.

                “Maybe you shouldn’t be so good at it.” Shikaku suggested with a sly smirk on his scarred face.

                “Ah, shut up! I used to prance around you house in a pink princess dress and now you’re thinking about that?” I snapped at him. I never did more than dance unless a high ranking or highly dangerous man asked to steal me for the night. In which case, I did a significant amount more than the norm.

                “What is going on?” Shikamaru demanded loudly, looking freaked out by the direction the conversation had gone in.

                I rested my hands on his shoulders. “Okay kid, point is I was a prodigy, now I’m just a great ninja and I ran away from my worthless mother and stupid mistakes so I can be here.” I patted his head and then moved away.

                “Well, I have a Hokage to see.” I announced and pulled my hood up again.

                Instead of running I decided to stroll. It was windy and the sky was clouding. There was a comforting chill in the wind and promise of rain. I loved rain and storms. Lightning always reminded me of Kakashi. I suppose I just held on to that.