“Bye mom, I’ll see you later!” I call, grabbing my purse off the railing and closing the door behind me. The sun was out but the wind was a bit cooler than usual but I didn’t mind. I sat on my front porch waiting for Holly to show up. My mind started wandering back to Matt. I just couldn’t seem to get him off my mind even though I knew I was better off without him. My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a horn honking at me. Holly leaned out the passenger side window of what I guessed was Liam’s car.

“Come on babe let’s get out of here!” She yelled with a giggle. I pushed my thoughts of Matt out of my head. Today I was going to have fun and I wouldn’t let my memories of him ruin it. I hadn’t seen Holly in what seemed like forever and today was about us. I got in behind Holly’s seat and closed the door behind me.

“Brianna! How are you!? Gosh I’ve missed you so much! Oh right this is Liam. Liam this is my best friend Brianna!”

“Hi, nice to meet you.” He said politely. I nodded.

“Nice to meet you too. So Hol, what are we doing?” I asked. I had told my mom shopping, but that was before I was aware that Liam would be tagging along. She turned around in her seat to face me.

“Well I thought it would be nice if you came and met Liam’s band. Since you were away at camp you haven’t gotten to meet everyone yet! I hope that’s okay. But don’t worry I know you’ll get along with everyone. They’re really sweet guys.”

“They can be a bit high maintenance at times but what do you expect from five teenage boys huh?” Liam added. I giggled a bit at the thought.

“Sure it’s no problem. My mom thinks we’re shopping but I honestly don’t care, as long as I’m out of my house.” The three of us grew quiet as Liam continued to drive us to wherever we were going. I just stared out the window hoping that maybe these friends of his could cheer me up a bit. I definitely needed a bit of fun.

Holly’s POV

               I was sitting on Liam’s couch when suddenly I felt my phone vibrate.

               Hey hol. Can we hang out today? I need to get out of my house :/

               “Hol, who is it?” Liam asked from the kitchen. I looked at the text thinking something might be wrong with Brianna.

               “Huh, oh it’s just Brianna. She wants to hang out. Do you think we could go pick her up?” I walked over and wrapped my arms around him. He turned around and faced me, looking at me with concern.

               “Yeah it’s no problem. Are you alright? You look… worried.” He studied my face. I looked down shyly, the way he looked at me sometimes still made me get butterflies.

               “No I’m fine I just am getting this feeling that something’s wrong you know?” He looked a bit confused.

               “Not really. Must be some special girl power you have, being able to tell when something’s wrong with someone.” He smiled and kissed me on the forehead. “Let me just go grab my keys okay?” He jogged up the stairs leaving me alone in the kitchen. It was weird. I hadn’t talked to Brianna in a while. I mean she had been away at camp and they weren’t allowed to use their phones but just something about her text told me that it wasn’t her family she needed to get away from. Liam came back downstairs with his keys a minute later.

               “Bye boys we’re leaving! Be back soon!” he hollered upstairs. We heard a few grunts in response. “I guess they’re still half asleep.” He chuckled, taking my hand as we walked out to the car. As we pulled away from the house Liam grabbed my hand and squeezed.

               “Is there something I should know about?” He inquired. I sighed and looked at the side of his face. He didn’t turn and look; he just concentrated on the road ahead.

               “Well its Brianna’s ex. He, well he didn’t treat her right. He did things to her that no girl deserves, ever. I never liked him and I think he’s gotten her into some sort of trouble. And I feel like an awful friend. I wasn’t really there for her because you and I had just started dating and then she went off to camp for a month and apparently she broke up with him last week and I had to hear about it from Niki, that’s her sister. I just can’t believe she wouldn’t tell me. We’ve been best friends since second grade and–“ I faltered, feeling my eyes welling up with tears. I looked out the window and tried to blink them back. I felt Liam squeeze my hand again.

               “Hey,” he whispered, “I’m here for you. I’m sure you and Brianna will be fine, maybe she just wanted to be alone and that’s why she didn’t tell you. Don’t take it personally, we’ll figure it out, together.” I looked back at him; he smiled and stroked my hair. I closed my eyes, feeling his hand in a constant stroke.

               “I love you,” I said with a smile.

               “I love you too.” He said, leaning in. But before he kissed me there was a honk interrupting us. “Oops,” he smiled sheepishly, “I guess the light’s changed.” I laughed, turning my attention back towards the window.

               “Oh okay her street is this one here.” I say pointing out my window. As we pull up to her house I can see Brianna lost in thought, sitting on her front porch. “Honk at her,” I say to Liam. He beeps, drawing Brianna out of her trance. “Hey babe let’s get out of here!” I scream laughing. She cracks a smile as she jogs towards the car. She slides into the seat behind me. I turn around with a big smile on my face. “Hey babe how are you!? Gosh I’ve missed you! Oh Liam say hi! Bri, this is Liam, Liam this is Brianna.” They exchange hellos before she asks where we’re going. I look at Liam and he nods. “We’re going back to Liam’s place, you can meet the boys. Oh they really are wonderful, you’ll just love them. I hope that’s okay.”

               “Yeah it’s no problem. My mom thinks we’re going to the mall but whatever, as long as I’m out of here.” She sighs turning towards her window. She gets quiet and so does the rest of the car ride back to the house.