D A Y T H I R T Y

Start from the beginning

"Dad!"

———

"It's Friday night and I won't be long. Gotta do my hair, put my make up on, it's—!"

"—Actually Tuesday night," I point out, turning into the very definition of a vibe killer, "And you're in your pajamas."

Vanessa shoots me a glare. "And so what if I'm in my PJs?"

I smirk. I hope she can see it through her peripheral vision. "You're going to use a pretty long time to do your hair and put your make up on."

I make a gesture at her hairnet and her makeup-free face. She uses one hand to smack my knee.

"Really Paulina?" she huffs. She changes the radio channel. Rock music which I'm not familiar with blares through the speakers. I wince.

"Okay okay, I won't point out the irony!" I cringe. Rock really isn't my thing. Pop? Yes. RnB? Yep. Rap? Let's not go there...but yes.

She nods, looking very smug. "I thought so."

I'm tempted to cuss but even if Ramadan is over, I'd still like to abstain from committing irrelevant sins.

The songs continue to play; some that I'm familiar with and some that I'm not really familiar with. But Vanessa, the music guru is jamming up to them so I simply look out the window to think of how Damon is faring.

I mean...he has to be okay. He's Damon Valentine. He deserves much better than staying in bed, looking sick as a tumor attacks him fatally. He deserves so much more than the world can offer him.

God please, I look up at the stars streaming by, I know that You make everything happen for a reason...but please. Can You heal Damon for me? I know You can. All I need is a miracle in Damon's life. Please.

"Stop worrying," Vanessa's voice snaps me back to reality, "He's gonna be fine."

I swallow thickly and manage a smile as I turn to look back at her. "Ameen."

"Yes," she nods in agreement, "Ameen. Now, come on. Smile, chin up, laugh. I doubt pretty boy is going to be happy seeing you cry."

A smile twitches at the corner of my mouth. "You mean, you aren't going to be happy if I shed a tear."

She smiles. "My love is that obvious, huh?"

My heart warms at her silent confession. I reach out to pat her arm. "You're such a cheesy witch. Why do I love you?"

She shrugs but her smile is a little bit serene. "I don't know but—Oh my God!" she shrieks as the next song comes on. I sorta shriek too because this is my jam!

"Panda! Panda! Panda! Panda! Panda! Panda!"

"I got broads in Atlanta!" we both scream at the top of our lungs.

We basically bite our tongues off because I really don't know what Desiigner is saying and she really doesn't know anything apart from the whole Panda part but it's okay. We're having fun like two sisters slash best friends should.