D A Y T W E N T Y F O U R

A/N: Thank you so much, guys. Please vote comment and share :)

 Please vote comment and share :)

———

"Hello?" I say into my phone as I pause my work on a poem that's Damon inspired. I'm sitting at my work table and I may or may not be experiencing a slight headache from my impending writer's block. "Paulina Suarez speaking."

"I know," a familiar voice comes through, "I saw the contact name as Diadem with a green heart emoji but I put two and two together. My son is such a sappy romantic."

I splutter. "Ms. Valentine!"

"No honey. I've told you this already. You may call me Aubrey," her laugh sounds genuine and I flush. How are you?"

"I'm... fine," I gulp, internally praying that I don't screw up this very important conversation. "How about you?"

"I've been better," she sighs softly. "Can we meet up; somewhere to talk? There's something very important that I would love to discuss with you."

I sigh and cast a mournful look at my poem. Hopefully, inspiration shall strike again. Before the writer's block does. "Of course. Uh. How about the cafe across the street? Halle Café."

I can practically hear Aubrey nod. "No problem. I'll be there in about twenty minutes. Don't be late."

"No problem!" I wheeze out as I look down at my pajamas. "I won't! Scouts honor!"

Aubrey chuckles and I realize that I'm shouting based on the way Vanessa stirs in her sleep on my bed. I want to turn to a puddle of embarrassed goop.

"Good," she pauses. "Oh, and Paulina?"

"Yes ma'am—uh, I mean Aubrey?" I wince at my not so close save. She doesn't acknowledge it.

"It's very cute that my son's password is Diadem, don't you think?"

She hangs up, leaving me flustered, flattered, and disoriented.

———

Just to be on the safe side, I don't bother with heavy makeup as soon as I'm done with my one minute shower. I slam dunk myself into my clothes, brush my eyelashes with mascara and rush out of the house to wait for Aubrey with ten minutes to spare.

Mr. and Mrs. Hall are busy talking quietly behind the counter. They look like they're arguing but they're being too quiet for me to tell. They pause as I enter. They also wave at me timidly and I smile at them before making my way to my favorite booth.