Sebastian Stan - I'll Be Home

Sebastian Stan x Military!Reader

Requested by @opietheislander, hope you like it! The original request was inspired by the song I'll Be Home by Meghan Trainor, so I've (hopefully) attached the song to this chapter if you'd like to give it a listen. :) ONE LAST THING!! I researched the deployment and leave allowances of the US Army for this as well as the structure of the Army, but I can't be entirely sure that it's correct, so please bare with me on that.

"What do you mean I won't be home for Christmas?" You asked in a mournful tone. Your superior gave you a sorrowful glance and sighed.

"I'm sorry (Y/L/N). I know you've been out here a long time, and I know you saved your mid-tour leave days up because you knew we'd want you here during Christmas, but I really need you here. This block leave is taking almost everyone, and there's a lot of important work that needs to be done while they're gone. I'm so sorry," he apologized with a small smile. You sighed and bowed your head as you nodded. Had you been in a slightly better mood, you would have surely returned his polite smile, and luckily he seemed to understand that.

"Yes sir," you whispered pitifully. How were you supposed to break the news to Sebastian? You had both been looking forward to this Christmas ever since you'd first been deployed six months ago. He had proposed to you just before you left, and it meant a lot to you both that you be home for Christmas.

As you both parted ways, you slowly made your way towards the landline on a nearby desk. Your hand hovered shakily over the device, and you had to take in a deep breath to steady yourself before you finally picked it up. You began punching in Sebastian's number with a trembling finger, and you had to hold back tears as you heard it starting to ring.

"Hello?" Sebastian's voice greeted you through the phone. You squeezed your eyes shut as the sound of his voice hit you, and it took everything in you not to demand that you get to return home right there just to hear him in person.

"Sebastian," you murmured quietly, forcing a small smile onto your face even though he could not see you. 

"(Y/N)!" He exclaimed gleefully. "How are you, sweetheart?" You could hear the smile in his voice, and it broke your heart that you would soon be making that smile disappear.

"I'm doing alright. How about you?" 

"I'm great! I can't wait for you to come home."

You froze and sucked in a sharp breath, but remained silent. Sebastian began getting worried at your sudden silence and hastily asked you what was wrong. "Sebastian, I need to tell you something," you began, your voice quiet and almost inaudible. You took Sebastian's silence as an invitation to continue. "Baz, I can't come home for Christmas," you admitted shamefully, your head hanging low as you spoke.

Sebastian gasped from the other end of the call. "Wh-what?" He stuttered. "Why not? Why can't you come home?"

You swallowed the rising lump in your throat and let out a soft sigh. "Sergeant says that I'm needed back here while everyone else is on block leave. There aren't enough people staying behind for the amount of work we have to do."

Sebastian huffed in annoyance. "Of course he said that. Of course. Perfect timing. This is ridiculous, keeping you there over Christmas. I swear, they had better promote you soon, because the amount of slack you pick up for everyone else is absolutely insane considering you're still Private First Class," he argued to no one, simply muttering his anger driven thoughts to you. You gave a sad chuckle.

"Well, I was promoted to First Class early," you reminded him.

"Should've just made you President with all the work you do for this country."