Chris Beck - Go Fish

Dr. Chris Beck x Reader

Okay so this is written in first person because I wrote it as a sample of my writing for my video production teacher. I'm not exactly sure how good it is, but I thought you guys could use a little

(angry) Chris Beck in your lives! Enjoy!!

I glared at the man across from me, staring into his intense blue eyes. I tried to gauge what exactly his next move would be and how much of a threat it would pose to my well being, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't quite crack him. He simply maintained a straight face through everything I did, and soon he spoke.

"Got any 6's?" He asked, voice void of emotion. My eyes scanned the playing cards in front of me before I looked up with a victorious smirk.

"Go fish." He sighed and reached forward to grab a card from the stack in between us. His eyebrows furrowed as he put it into his set of cards, and I took this action as a sign of weakness. This was not a game for the weak.

One of my fellow astronauts on the Ares III mission, Johansson, walked in behind Beck, and she quickly realized what was going on. The two of us locked eyes for a moment, and she gave me a small nod in response. I tapped my foot three times to indicate one of my cards. Carefully, my accomplice peered over Chris's shoulder to see his collection of cards, smiling and nodding.

"Got any 3's, Beck?" I asked cockily. Chris groaned in annoyance, smacking the card down on the table and sliding it over to me. I laughed, pumping my fist in the air in triumph.

"I hate you so much, please know that," he fumed, arms crossed over his chest.

"Don't hate the player, Beck. Hate your lack of skills. You need to brush up on your go fish abilities," Johansson remarked, a satisfied smirk on her face as she watched the flight surgeon struggling. I was having a hard time containing my laughter as he furiously scanned his cards.

"Shut it, Johansson! The last thing I need right now is your sass!" He snapped in frustration. "You!" He pointed at me. "Do you have any 4's?" I raised an eyebrow, sighing.

"Well, Beck. You really got me. I thought I could trick you, but you really truly got me this time. I guess I'll have to come right out and say it," I stated dramatically, eyes lifting to look up at Beck. His eyes were shining and the grin on his face reached from ear to ear. I paused, face solemn as I took in a breath. "Dr. Chris Beck.... Go fish."

His face turned dark red, and his jaw clenched in anger. He threw his cards down and stood up from the table, chair falling to the ground as he shoved it out of the way. "That's it! I'm done! No more game, no more cards, I'm leaving. I'm going into my room and I'm not coming back out until we're on Earth. I'll see you in three years." With that being said, he stormed out of the room, leaving Johansson and I to break down into fits of laughter.

"Did you see his face?" Johansson asked, wiping away the tears that had popped up as we laughed. I clutched my stomach and nodded, a victorious grin on my face.

"I don't think I've ever seen Beck so angry in my life. He literally almost flipped this table, I swear," I replied. "I so need to challenge him again. He's so competitive, there's no way he'll be able to say no for long."

And he couldn't. Soon Dr. Beck and I were across from each other once again, poker faces on full force and a collection of cards clutched in our hands. He looked as determined as ever, but I knew it wouldn't matter. Once again, Johansson was standing behind him, a delighted grin on her face.

"Okay, so we both know the stakes, right? Loser has to perform as many of the other's duties as they can for a week, while the winner also gets bragging rights for a month. Are you okay with that?" I asked my opponent. He simply nodded, his expression unchanging. I nodded as well, and we began our very intense game of go fish.

I continued to tap my foot and allow Johansson to give me answers, guessing incorrectly on purpose a few times to make him feel like this was all fair, but it didn't take long for the brilliant surgeon to catch on to our trick. I tapped my foot seven times, Johansson nodding in response as she did when Beck had the card I needed. This time, however, as I called out the number seven, Beck slammed his cards down again.

"You two! You're working together!" He shouted, pointing an accusing finger at each of us. I simply put on the most shocked face that I could, feigning hurt at his words.

"Doctor, why would I even do that?" I asked, allowing a bit of confusion and betrayal to coat my words. Beck just shot a pointed glare in my direction, crossing his arms.

"Because you're a sore loser and you can't stand not winning."

"Oh, I'm the sore loser? You're the one that stormed off last time we played because I literally wasn't holding any fours. If anyone needs a lesson about sharing and caring and playing nice in the sandbox, it's you," I pointed out matter-of-factly. Chris opened his mouth to speak, but he quickly shut it, trying to form an argument in his head before replying.

"Well, when you need a major life-saving operation in the next three years because you tried to cheat your way through your job, then don't come crying to me." He huffed, gathering his deck of cards and moving towards the doorway.

"I don't need your sass, Beck!" Johansson teased him. I clasped my hand over my mouth, trying not to laugh. He whirled back around, facing us with an intense anger.

"You understand I have the power to toss you guys into space, right? Literally, it's like a few buttons and a little shove."

I sat back in my chair and smirked. "Oh, death threats, now this is getting interesting. I'm sure the United States government would be thrilled to hear about this, they'd be clinging onto every word."

Of course, I was completely kidding, but Beck didn't seem to notice, nor did he seem to care. He groaned, turning back around and stomping his feet as he left the room. "You guys should totally just go back to Mars, it's perfect for you! There's no intelligent life there either, you'll fit in super well!"

Beck hasn't offered to play cards with myself or anyone else ever since.

I hope you guys enjoyed that weird thing, put any requests down in the comments. I'm currently working on part three to Far Too Young To Die as well as a Valentine's Day series for Sebastian, Bucky, Chris, and TJ. :) As always, preferred situations for oneshots are much appreciated! Thank you so much for reading guys.
Stay street, stay unlit, stay alive.