CHAPTER 38.

As I was about to undo my top when my phone rang. It's an unknown number. I hesitated for a moment before answering. "Hello?" I answered, cautiously.

"Hey, it's me." Gean tone sounded a bit...off.

"Hi. Er...are you calling about the kids?"

"No, I already told Joel I'll be picking them up in the morning." She replied. Ok...why are you calling me.

"Ok....what's up."

"Can you fix your tone—"

"Can you?" I cornered. Not even 5 minutes on the call and I already want to hang up. She mumbles something in Portuguese.

"Sorry...I guess I need to work on that—anyway I had forgotten to tell you that I cancelled your meeting with Harper Touch—"

I frowned." Oh gosh, nice of you tell me that before I wasted hours waiting for no one to show up!"

"First of all, I forgot, ok, my life doesn't revolve around you."

"Hm. If you say so." I mumbled under my breath.

"I'm just calling to tell you, that I send you novel to E.L James—" I zoned out for a moment then sat up straight."

"You did what!" I shouted.

"Umm, hello....you don't have to shout!" She yelled. I sat on the edge of the bed. I chewed on my thumb. Oh my gosh, I seriously didn't need this right now. I don't need the thoughts of the E. L James read my novel and throwing it into the trash because of how awful it. Oh gosh, I can see her burning it now. "Don't worry about it this could be a good thing. I mean, what if she likes—"

"You mean what if she doesn't, you mean. Her writing makes me like a rookie. Which I am by the way!" I exclaimed.

"You'll never know until she checks her email and sees it."

"I seriously can't believe you did this," I said, panicking.

"Hold up! Would you rather spend it to Stephen King or E.L James?" She questioned.

"E.L James," I whispered.

"Exactly! Now stop being so ungrateful!" She shouted. "Gotta go. I'll call when I hear from her."

"Ok. Bye."

"Ahuh." With that said she hang up. I fall back onto the bed. OMG. E.L James might read my book. I don't know whether to be happy or scared out of my mind. I clenched my racing heart. I seriously wasn't expecting a call and worst if all this surprise she was going to spring on me. Couldn't I just live without all this excitement? It's killing me. I jumped up when I remembered Joel and my dad are still in the living room. I bolted downstairs. When I found them they sat across from each other in the pit, silent, I frowned.

"Is everything, ok?" I asked. Joel looked up and dad turned to look at me.

"Yes pumpkin, everything's fine." My dad said, smiling. I looked at Joel. He gave me a sad smile. He looked through me. What happened between them? Suddenly Joel got up and walked over to me. He kissed my forehead before walking upstairs. My eyes followed him as he disappeared into our bedroom. I turned to dad for an explanation as to why my baby is so damn quiet! I found him standing in front of me. I jumped. Holy shit! Don't do that!

"It's getting late, pumpkin. I should be to getting back to base," he kissed my forehead," I'll see you soon"

"Wait—what happened between you two?" I asked.

He turned to look at me." We just had a little discussion...nothing serious." He replied, shrugging.

I scoffed." Nothing serious?" I said, in disbelief. "Whatever you guys discussed must have  rubbed Joel the wrong way because he's only this quiet.....probably in utero because I've never seen him this quiet."  That's a lie—he's SOMETIMES quiet when he's being petty.