CHAPTER 20.

After his first meeting, Joel pulled into a meeting with his accountant. I had to interrupt them so he could eat. My job for the day was going over accounting records with Management because someone made an error. I got back to my desk an hour ago, I took a half-hour nap then woke up with foxes on my mind. "Hey." Joelle's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. He smiled. His chest-length hair was pulled back into a bun. He wore wearing a red flannel shirt, dark pants rolled up to his ankles and dark Alpargatas.

"Hey." I greeted him, smiling back. I reached into my bag and pulled up the designs for Beth's loft.

"So...how were they?" He asked, brushing the stray strands out of his face.

"Amazing. I'm starting to think you could have been an architect if you didn't work here."

"I was...well still technically am but when my father made me the part-owner. Let's say it was an offer I couldn't refuse." He smiled. His smile was always so bright and genuine.

"Seriously?" I said, in shock.

"Yup." He smiled. "I'm the one who designed for this place."

"That's crazy maybe you should come and fix my place," I said chuckling.

"Of course! I'll stop by anytime you want me to." He said still smiling. "Anyways, I gotta jet. See you around, B."

"Ok bye, Joelle."

-

Later that day. It's almost 5 and I'm barely done reorganizing Joel's schedule. I'm too tired for this. I yawned. He's still in the meeting with his accountant, he already gave me a heads up that it might be a lengthy one but damn it's taking forever. I sighed. I picked up my phone and turned it on. I tensed when I saw ten missed calls and fifteen messages all from one of Brandon's friends. I chewed on my lip as I threw my phone across the room. Stop sending your friend to harass me! How the hell did you even get my number?

"Ms Cabrera?" I froze when I heard Joel's voice. Ah oh. I turned to see him standing beside my desk with a brow in the air, his accountant stood beside him. His accountant fumbled to fix his tie. I forced a smile.

"Umm...well nice seeing you again, Joel." Said his accountant, eyeing me cautiously. His accountant is a tiny man maybe an inch or 2 taller than me, with a full head of wavy hair and dark eyes. They shook hands.

"Likewise Owen," Joel replied giving Owen a light squeeze on his shoulder. Owen flashed a smile my way then scurried to the elevator. When Owen got on to the elevator, Joel picked up my phone. He turned to me with a brow raised. I shrugged.

"I thought I saw a spider but I think I missed it."

"Hm. Well, I'm going to lock up so get ready." He was about to walk past my desk when he said. "Oh and try not to kill anymore 'spiders'" He teased, emphasizing spiders. I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up," I said. He chuckled as he walked into his office. He came out five minutes later and locked the door behind him. He waited for me in front of my desk. I threw my bag over my shoulder and stood beside him. He took my hands in his hand as we walked to the elevator. Once inside he turned to me with my broken phone in hand. "You wanna explain what really happened between you and this phone."  His gaze tore me to pieces. Lie. You are crazy...he's not stupid. I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"Brandon is using his friend to try to convince me to—" 

"Say no more." He said, clenching the phone. His knuckled were white. I took the phone and stuffed it into my bag.

"Out of sight, out of mind."

"Not out of my mind." He grumbled. "We need you to get you a new number."