Chapter 21

"Catch me, Catch me!" Giggled Swankit with Coalkit outside. Hailstorm sighed, barely able to lift her tail up. Birdwing organized his herbs, looking over at Hailstorm every so often.

"Kits are not the end of the world, you'll be up to doing your regular duties in four moons Hailstorm" He said.

Hailstorm didn't say anything, she just lied there hoping that the world would just eventually end.

"When can we go outside and play?" Havenkit asked birdwing, looking out through the medicine cat opening.

"Later" Birdwing growled.

"You say that every day" Havenkit frowned, turning around and looking at the tom.

"Mama, you haven't eaten your mouse yet" Hawkkit pressed his paws on Hailstorm's throat, trying to look her in the eyes.

"I know," Hailstorm said weakly.

"How come?" He asked, "Moonheart gave it just for you."

Hailstorm shut her eyes, her body weak and struggling enough just to breathe. Hawkkit frowned, looking at the mouse and then looking at his mother "You'll get sick if you don't."

Sweetbreeze headed into the den, happily greeting her sister and her kits. Hawkkit bounded toward his aunt excited.

"Sweetbreeze!" Hawkkit squealed.

Havenkit joined her brother, just as excited.

"How are you kits doing?" She asked.

"I'm so tough now!" hawkkit said, "See, I can catch that mouse!"

"Ooo, show me," Sweetbreeze said. Hawkkit turned around and carefully stalked the Dead mouse by Hailstorm. He leaped on it and bit down on it. He fell over, hitting Hailstorm in the face. He quickly moved "Sorry Mama."

"Wow, that is some skills there Hawkkit," Sweetbreeze said.

"I can too!" Havenkit said, "I can hunt the biggest mouse!"

"The biggest?" Sweetbreeze asked.

"Yeah!" She gave an evil eye before pouncing on Hawkkit.

"HEY!" He yelled "I'm not a mouse!"

"Now you are!" Havenkit giggled.

"Can I take them out into the clearing?" Sweetbreeze asked Birdwing.

Birdwing looked at her and then at the kits who were rough housing in the small den. He looked back at her "Keep a very good eye on them. You-know-who is in camp today and will bully them."

Sweetbreeze nodded. The kits shot up "Wait, you said we can go outside!?" Havenkit asked.

"Yes, now you have to stay close with me or else you have to go back in the den" Sweetbreeze warned.

"I promise Sweetbreeze" Hawkkit said.

"So do I!" Havenkit squealed, unable to contain her excitement.

Sweetbreeze led the two kits out of the den. Birdwing approached Hailstorm with fury in his eyes "Eat, you need to keep your strength up for the kits."

Hailstorm shifted in her nest that Birdwing had made for her. He swished his tail back and forth irritated "Hailstorm, you haven't been out in moons since the kits were born. You need to eat and get moving."

"Why? So that I can have cats walk away from me and call my kits foul names?" She asked.

"Your kits are no better than any other kit, all they know is that warriors are grumpy," He said.