Chapter 7

Hailpaw joined up with the rest of the clan, most of them still in shock. Swiftstar was taking her time to call a new deputy and the whole clan was worried. It was almost moon high and no new deputy was chosen.

Swiftstar was still in her den talking with Birdwing on a right choice. Hailpaw knew she must still be in shock of her brother's death so getting a second opinion for the new deputy would be best in case she made a wrong choice in her blind mourning.

"I wonder who she'll choose," Kinkpaw told Hailpaw.

"I know, it'll be hard with the small pawful of warriors we have" Hailpaw responded.

"Rumor had it that she was going to chose Petalwish," Kinkpaw said.

Hailpaw looked at her "She's in the nursery now and hasn't mentored a cat."

"Right now, I don't think we need to look at a cat who has mentored. With so little warriors, anyone is fair game right now" Kinkpaw said.

Hailpaw frowned. Even with the lack of warriors, they still had quite a handful of cats who had mentored, like Mintpool, Rowanclaw, Songfur and so on. Hailpaw's guess was that she may choose Rockstream since he's the most experienced warrior out of the clan, but this was still just a guess.

Swiftstar emerged from her den, with Birdwing at her side. The clan's chatter stopped all eyes upon the black spotted she-cat.

"As the night grows near, it is time for me to call upon a new deputy," she said, her voice shaking "after the death of Roughclaw, I must choose a new deputy tonight. There are many cats in the clan that would do well in the possession" she flicked her tail "I say these words so that the spirits of our ancestors may approve of my choice. The new deputy will be Rosepool."

Rosepool stood up, shocked by this news. The whole clan was in utter dismay as well. She was a younger she-cat that was yet waiting to get an apprentice. Maybe Swiftstar was this desperate to call a very young cat.

Rosepool climbed up to the rock, her long, shiny fur glimmering int he moonlight. The two gave a small glance and the clan slowly grew to understand the she-cat wasn't going to change her mind. They rejoiced, though questioning the leader's motives.

However, it wasn't like Rosepool was a bad choice or a bad cat, but Hailpaw knew that maybe a more experienced warrior might have been better.

"I never would have thought Rosepool" Kinkpaw muttered.

"Same here."

"Sssshhh you two" Moonpaw hissed in a low voice "the vigil for the lost warriors has begun."

***********

Hailpaw woke early in the morning, ready to start the morning patrol. To her surprise when she exited out of the den, all was quiet in the clan. She looked around, was the vigil still going on? She walked up to Mintpool who sat at the entrance of the nursery.

"Mintpool, what's going on?" she asked.

He flicked his tail "Warrior assessment for Kinkpaw and Moonpaw. It's our clan's tradition to leave them in the forest for the day, except for their mentors who will be in the trees scoping things out."

"Really? Already?"

"They were apprenticed three moons before you were," he said.

Hailpaw sat down "so what should I do all day?"

"The elders need their nests cleaned out," he said "I would start with that and see where the day takes us. They'll be back soon."

Hailpaw sighed, the least bit excited to clean out dirty moss. She had no real other choice but trotted over to the elder's den.