Chapter 15

"That kit is sure a fighter" Birdwing commented. Hailstorm and Sweetbreeze had checked up on Kinktail for what seemed like every chance they got for an entire moon. Hailstorm flicked her tail, the nursery crowded now that Songfur had been moved in, expecting Rowanfur's kits.

Batkit, Icekit, and Willowkit peered over Petalwish, watching Birdwing assess Kinktail's kits. The feisty tom was bulky and Hailstorm could see a future leader in the tom. He was already so large and seemed almost the same size as Petalwish's kits.

However, the same was not to be said for Swankit. Though the she-kit kept fighting for her life every day, Birdwing feared that she may not be able to become a warrior due to a fluid-like build up in her lungs, leaving her out of breath with just barely moving around the nursery.

Birdwing picked up Swankit and took her to his den to do his daily herbal remidies for her heavy chest. She gave no fight and was still weak for even a moon old. Coalkit looked at his still very weak mother.

"Mama, why does Swankit have to always go with Birdwing?" He asked.

"Because she's sick and he's trying to make her better," Kinktail said.

The little tom looked at his mother alarmed "Does that mean I'll get sick mama!? I don't want to get sick if I share my nest with her!"

"She won't get you sick Coalkit, I promise," Kinktail said with a soft purr.

"He's going to be quite a handful," Songfur said from her nest, catching all the cats attention in the den.

Batkit tumbled out of the nest and bounded up to Coalkit. The little brown tabby tom looked at Coalkit straight in the eyes and looked at Kinktail.

"Can we show Coalkit around camp?" Batkit asked.

"Hey! I was going to ask first!" Willowkit complained, bounding to her brother. Icekit followed behind just as frustrated.

Kinktail laughed at the kits, "Sure, but stay close to the nursery. It's cold outside right now with the first snow fall."

"Snow?" Coalkit looked at Kinktail confused.

"You haven't seen snow?!" Icekit exclaimed.

"Go on out you four," Petalwish said sitting up from her nest and cleaning herself.

Batkit giggled and lead the trample of kits out into the barely frosty air. Hailstorm and Sweetbreeze laughed at the kits and their excitement.

"How long till you have your's Songfur?" Sweetbreeze asked.

"Oh not for a while," She said, "I didn't want to risk hunting even in the early stages."

Hailstorm's head snapped up, looking at Songfur. Kinktail shuttered in her nest. Hailstorm knew this comment was a precautionary advance that she was taking as to avoid the difficult time Kinktail had and was still having with the kits.

"Hailstorm, are you going to be going to the gathering tonight?" Songfur asked.

Hailstorm blinked, she had forgotten it was a full moon tonight "I believe so unless Rosestar says otherwise."

"Can you do me a favor?" Songfur asked.

"Sure, what?"

"There's a tom in Marsh clan, Applestripe, can you tell him about me and my condition?" She asked.

"Why?" Sweetbreeze asked.

Songfur flicked her tail "he's my brother."

"Songfur is half clan" Petalwish spoke up "her mother was killed in the battle your father died in and her father is Pinebelly, a warrior of Marshclan."