Chapter 12

Mossystar growled at the top of the rocks, "Swifstar was a fool to limit our hunting grounds in the territory. Our clan is growing and we need more" he said, "With her last life gone, what will you do as a clan to my demands?"

"Why do you need more grounds?" Mintpool hissed "you already have enough!"

"I just told you, my warriors are starving, my kits are dying!" He snapped. Hailpaw gulped, not seeing this side of Mossystar.

"We can't let you!" Ambernose cried out "We have a clan ourselves to feed."

Mossystar flicked his tail "maybe you are the kind of cats that would like to gamble. Here. If any of your cats can take away my first life, we will remain on the grounds that Swiftstar had given us. But, if I take one of your warrior's lives, I get half of your hunting grounds."

"That's outrageous!" The clan cried out in panic.

Hailpaw couldn't figure out why the warriors weren't jumping at the chance. Shouldn't they be willing to defend themselves against him? Or was Mossystar that tough?

Hailpaw flinched, seeing Mossystar looked at her in the corner of his eyes. His dark brown eyes almost trying to tell her something. Her gut twisted, finally realizing the reason for the attack.

"I will" Hailpaw stepped forward, standing her ground "I will fight you."

Mossystar looked at her with laughter, acting really well to the other cats "An apprentice? Are you serious?" he looked out at the other cats in snow clan "are you going to let this apprentice gamble your hunting grounds?"

None of the cats spoke. Hailpaw looked at the funny. Were they really not going to fight back? Surely a warrior would take over and not have an apprentice fight to the death.

"Very well" Mossystar purred, swishing his tail. He jumped down off the rocks and landed in front of Hailpaw. "Let's gamble your forest, kit!" He snarled, though his eyes soft and comforting. Hailpaw launched herself at him. He quickly ducked under and attacked her from underneath her in mind air. She flew off course but stuck to landing. She spun around and unsheathed her claws. Mossystar flung himself at her. She growled. She jumped toward him and managed to slash his side before landing. He crashed into the ground, blood oozing from his white pelt. He stood up, unphased by the attack. She spun around and thrashed his muzzle. He bit onto her paw and threw her.

She hit a tree, her sides aching. Mossystar slowly padded toward her "Feisty."

She growled and launched herself at him. He was caught by surprise as she sunk her claws into his chest and neck. She pinned him down and held his throat. She then realized what was to happen. She had to kill him. Take his first life. The cat who had helped her become a fighter in the first place. She looked down at him, time seemed to stop.

"Just do it," he whispered to her.

Her paws shook. She gulped. Her heart beating like a rabbits. She shut her eyes and slashed his throat. He gasped for air, blood splattering her paws and onto the ground. He shook for a moment, then, nothing. Hailpaw stared down at him, mortified by what she had done. Mountain Clan cried out in horror. Hailpaw spaced out, unable to tell what was reality and what wasn't.

Mountain Clan retreated, dragging Mossystar's slowly regenerating body back to their territory. Hailpaw turned to her clan mates to be met with Rosepool looking at her happily. All the other cats were stunned at what just went down.

"You saved our clan, as impossible as that statement sounds, you did," Rosepool said. She turned to the clan and looked at them "I know that Swiftstar gave her last life to defend this clan and I have no right to do this, but, I believe that this apprentice has proved herself loyal to her clan and standing up to a cat that all of us were too much of cowards to do so."

Hailpaw looked at the deputy shocked.

"Hailpaw, as the new leader of Snowclan, I call upon the approval of our warrior ancestors and claim you a warrior of Snow Clan," She said. She turned to the clan "Hailpaw, from this day forward, you will be known as...known as Hailstorm for the power of a storm you possess in your paws" Rosepool said.

Hailpaw looked at her clan, surprised. All of them were shocked to see what had just happened happen. Slowly, the clan began to realize and chanted her name. Hailpaw sat up straight, letting the clan's chant fill her ears.

That cheer and pride soon ended. Hailpaw, now Hailstorm slithered out of camp the day after her vigil and Swiftstar's vigil. It was the perfect time as Rosepool was off with Birdwing to the Star stone and most of the clan was happy to sleep in peace. Hailstorm darted out of camp and made the journey to the tunnel pond. When she arrived, Mossystar was waiting for her like an excited kit. He raced up to her, looking at her proudly.

"I saw what had happened," he said.

Hailstorm looked at him "you didn't have to do that. I didn't mean to kill you and take-"

"I have eight more" he purred, sitting in front of her "and I couldn't think of a better reason to give a life to than to a cat who needed it."

"There's always your clan" she pointed out.

He laughed "That's what the other eight are for."

"Why did you kill Swiftstar?" She asked.

He sighed "she's not fit to be your leader anymore. Rosepool will be a fine leader and will make your clan stronger."

"T-true..." Hailstorm frowned.

"What's wrong?" Mossystar asked.

"I guess...we can't train anymore," she said. She looked at him "This is our last meeting then."

He shifted in his spot "It doesn't have to be..."

"What do you mean?"

He looked at his paws "I like talking to you. It's like for once I can be myself around someone. I don't have to live up to an image, I can be me" his brown eyes glittered, starring at her.

Her heart fluttered with his tail touching her's "Same" she responded weakly.

He rubbed up against her, purring "I hope you realize how important of a cat you are Hailstorm...I can see it now, you will have an incredible destiny."

"So will you as Mountain Clan's leader," she said.

He licked her cheek "out there I will try, in here, I can be who I want, both of us."

Hailpaw purred, feeling comfort for once. Was it the physical warmth he gave her or was it the warmth he gave her soul and heart? She didn't know, not cared. All that seemed to matter was their moment of silence, watching the diamond pool lap at the edge of the small shore. This was peace. This was bliss.