Chp. 12 "Oops"

Mulai dari awal

He shrugged, “I was thinking about speaking to Blaine again today. God, knowing that he’s really 40 really freaks me out though…”

I laughed, Max was right, it really was weird… but I knew that’s what my fate would be.

I pulled up into the parking lot, seeing that Avery’s car was in the space right next to where I always parked. I felt my heart hammer in my chest as I pulled up next to her, wondering if she was as bummed out about last night as I was.

But she probably wasn’t.

I looked over towards her car and saw her texting, her hair falling down over her perfect angular face. Then she looked up and locked eyes with me, giving me a weak smile and a little wave.

And I returned it shyly.

Max must’ve seen the tension because he commented on it, “Jeez, what happened? She rejected you?”

I sighed, “Not necessarily… I just don’t think we’re on the same page.”

“Ah, I understand.”

I glared at him, “Yea, so don’t say or do anything stupid.”

He winked as we exited the car and I walked over to Avery’s side of the car, “Hey, want some help with the project?”

She nodded, “Yea.”

I still felt a little bit of tension between us but I knew it could all be in my head. Maybe last night had gone exactly like she wanted and we were ok, and I was just being stupid.

I opened the door and hauled the project out of the back seat carefully, knowing that the wire couldn’t come undone. Max had joined us around the other side of the car and got a good glimpse at our project, huffing in the process.

“Well, your project definitely blew ours out the water.”

I was too busy watching Avery to even respond to Max, allowing Avery to speak to him, “Thanks, it took us a lot of time to do this.”

I smiled, “It was all her idea anyway.”

Avery’s glowing eyes looked at me, knowing I was trying to break the tension between us that was still left over from last night. I didn’t know where exactly she and I stood but I was trying to let her know I still wanted to be more than friends.

And maybe she was thinking the same thing.

So we finally got to the class in time to drop it off and take our seats, knowing we would have to present our projects. I stared at ours, wondering why I hadn’t tested the electric current out before we sat but now it was too late.

The class was starting.

Avery leaned over to me, “You think it’s gonna work?”