Chapter 45 - Secrets

I stood beside Harry as he worked with the padlock keeping the room sealed. I felt that the security was unneeded but I was sure he had his reasons for it, although I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Once the door was opened, Harry nudged his head to the side. I peered up at him, requesting for another approval. Harry slipped his fingers through mine before giving my hand a light squeeze. He must've understood my hesitancy. Things had gotten ugly between us the last time I went in here. I wasn't sure why he wanted to let me in now.

With my hand tightly clutched in Harry's, I was led into the dusty room. The dirt tickled my senses, and I became caught up in a series of coughs and wheezes. The atmosphere in here had noticeably worsened. The poor ventilation didn't seem to bother Harry, as he kept himself entertained by my sneezes. He cheekily laughed at my sensitive reaction as he reached to flick open the lights. 

He kicked the door closed before turning me to face him. I was taken aback when Harry lightly pinched my nose. He held his fingers there for a while and by the time he removed them, the sneezing stopped. "Better?" He questioned.

I was puzzled by what he'd just managed to do. "Yes." I ended up laughing.

"Come on." He flashed a quick grin at me as he reached to grab hold of my hand again. His skin was always warmer than mine, and it somehow made his touches all the more comforting.

Large canvases messily surrounded us, most of them holding a beautiful picture, some left empty. I eagerly took in the images displayed as I was led further into the ample room. I remembered a lot of them, but there were multiple pieces that I hadn't seen yet. I hoped to find the painting he did of me but it was nowhere in sight.

"This is stunning, Harry." I found myself in awe of a particular picture. He had captured a scene in autumn, a gravel road emerging between brightly coloured trees. "But I thought they were supposed to be secret?" I mentioned, still confused as to why I was here.

"Well yeah, sort of." He murmured as he slid his hand round the nape of his neck. "This may sound cheesy and shit but... I like to put certain feelings into pictures, certain events that have had an impact on me. I've done just that with most of the pieces you see here." He gestured around to the paintings. "So they're pretty personal and I'd rather keep them to myself."

"That's why you were upset with me the last time." I concluded, tilting my head down to pick at my nails. "I haven't had the chance to say sorry-"

"No, I'm sorry." I felt his hands buckle around my waist from behind. "I'm sorry I yelled at you then, and I'm sorry for yelling last night." He apologised.

"I was quite shaken up." I admitted.

"I know, I know." He said softly into my hair. "I'm going to try to be less of a prick, alright?"

I responded with a nod and I heard him laugh deeply against my neck. "You've showed me that you trust me, Lia. I want you to know that I trust you too, so I brought you in here. I've never let anyone else in."

"Not even Kaylee?"

"Of course not." He said sternly. The words were therapeutic, and frankly they made me feel quite special.

"Well, I appreciate that. I think your work is amazing." I said as I glanced around, briefly observing the other paintings. "Except those. I don't like those very much."  My gaze uncomfortably maneuvered along the ones of nude women in sultry positions, and I coincidentally let out a small sneeze. I only hoped they weren't real people that had posed for Harry. I grew uncomfortable with my own thoughts.