Chapter twenty: The toast

Soon, everyone went off to their assigned tables to receive a late lunch. I was looking for my table when Jungkook called my name. He signaled me to sit beside him.

Just as I was about to sit beside him, the witc- I'm sorry, Cheonsa, pushed me away and sat down on the chair Jungkook pulled out for me. She smiled at me and Jungkook as if she hadn't made us pissed. We awkwardly sat down beside her and ate the food served.

Suddenly, Cheonsa's mom, Mrs Jung, stood up and click on her wine glass.

"I think it is time for a toast. How about the maid-of-honor go first?" She announced, looking at me.

Shit, I thought. A toast?

"Um..." I said while awkwardly standing up.

"It's ok, Jihye. You've always been good at words." I thought of self motivation through my mom's voice.

I breathed in and slowly breathed out.

"I have known Jungkook ever since we were 5, when he first talked to me under a cherry blossom tree during the fourth month of kindergarten. He was always friendly, kind and a prankster in these 14 years of friendship." I started. I saw Jungkook smiling at me like an idiot. I smiled back.

"We had our fights and arguments, moments when we felt like killing each other, times when we disapproved of each other's opinions, times when we cried because of each other's stupidity," I laughed.

"But I will never forget the times when he tried to cheer me up in my lowest times, wiping my tears away and putting on a goofy face to make me smile. He is truly a great friend that I have never ever regretted meeting." I said, starting to tear up. Jungkook looked at me as if I had warmed up his heart.

"So Jungkook, no matter what happens,

*I will honestly,

completely

And truly love you." I said.

There was silence.

I started to reflect on my words and panicked.

Did I just confess?

"As a friend, of course." I continued with a nervous laugh. I raised up my glass and everyone else did the same.

"I know I speak for everyone in this room when I wish Cheonsa and Jungkook a blessed and happy married life ahead." I finished with a nod. Everyone in the room cheered and I smiled.

Until I looked at Jungkook.

Tears were streaming down his face.

*Quote from Love, Rosie.