Chapter 29

I was wrecking my brain trying to figure out what that text meant. It'll be different if it was an address or something. It's hard trying to figure out what the text could mean. I couldn't even look at Dillan the same knowing he's up to something. Thank y'all for coming, Brice said. We found the baby blanket on the doorstep. That's all? No, I found footprints in the backyard. Show me, the officer said. These seem pretty new, have you noticed them before? No, I just noticed them today. I will have a specialist come out and take a look at it. Can you check the blanket for fingerprints? I could but im sure y'all fingerprints would show up more than anyone else's. Yeah, you do have a point. We can still get it checked just in case. We also tried to contacted Meghan again. How that go? She wasn't home when we stopped by. Her neighbor said she hasn't been home at all. Has anybody heard from her? We've tried calling her but her phone goes straight to voicemail. We'll keep trying to contact her and we'll have the blanket checked. Please let us know if you find something. We will, the officer said. That's not like Meghan, Brice said. I'll be back, I have to get out of here. Where you going? I just need some space, I said. All of this just wasn't sitting right with me. I know in my gut; Meghan has my son. I just need to find her ass and prove it. I drove around for hours trying to figure out, where could Meghan be. I checked her house again hoping I could find something useful. When I pulled up, I saw Miss Marge in her yard. Hey Miss Marge! Hey! What you doing? Just tighten up Meghan's yard. You know I like everybody yard looking nice. Have you seen Meghan? No, I haven't seen her. Can you try to call her for me? I tried calling her for the police but she didn't answer. Yeah, I tried calling her too. You still don't have your son? No but we're still looking. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope y'all get him back soon. You still think Meghan has him? I do, I don't want to think that tho. I know, I don't want to either. I will keep praying he returns home safely. Thank you, we need all the prayers. Do you still have her spare key? Yeah but you know I wouldn't feel right letting you in. I know Miss Marge but I just want to see if my son has been here. I will let you look around for 5 minutes, that's it. Thank you!

I was hoping I could find some kind evidence that Meghan has my son. Guess ill water the plants while we in here, Miss Marge said. I didn't see anything of the baby's around here. I checked the mail stack that was sitting on the table. All I really saw was bank statements and junk mail. I saw a picture of Meghan and Brice sitting on the counter. I couldn't help but think, what if Brice would have stayed with Meghan. Would this be happening right now if I had gotten pregnant by someone else? You find anything? I didn't respond to Miss Marge, I kept looking at the picture. Zayna! Zayna! I still didn't respond. Zayna, Miss Marge said again while shaking me. I'm sorry, what you say? I asked if you found anything. Not really, was kind of hoping I didn't. I don't wanna believe she has my son. I know you don't. I just don't know who could have taken my son and why would they take him. I just couldn't deal with it no more so I broke down. Listen to me, Miss Marge said. I know this is the worst thing you could go through; I know it is. You have to stay positive and keep praying. The moment you stop believing, is the moment you start losing. You have to believe he is alright wherever he is. I wanna believe he ok, I really do. Don't stop praying or believing. God love all his children so I know God is watching over him. Let's pray real quick. "father God we come to you begging you to watch over this innocent child. Please return this child home safely to the people that love him the most. We ask you to give his parents the strength they need to get them through this rough time. Father God we know you will protect your child against all harm. In Jesus name we pray, amen". Thank you so much Miss Marge. I really needed those words. You have my number, call me any time.

After leaving Meghan's house, I kept driving around for a while. I wasn't ready to go back home just yet. I looked at my phone and saw Brice calling. You ok? Yeah, im fine. I talked to the police. What they say? The blanket only had our finger prints on it. Damn, I was hoping that was what we needed to get our son home. They also checked the footprints too. It wasn't much they could really find out about it. I just don't know what to do no more. We just have to stay positive and keep praying. I'm trying, it's just hard to do right now. Zack and Dillan still there? Zack is, Dillan left maybe 3o minutes ago. He said he had a long drive to make or something. Did he say where? No, I don't think so. I feel like it's more we could be doing to find him. It's nothing we can really do at this point baby. I hate this is happening right now. I had a nice getaway planned for us. A little alone time would have been perfect. Just us in a nice little cabin or something. Cabin? Yeah, we always wanted to go away. I'll call you back. I didn't wait for Brice to respond, I just hung up. When Brice said cabin, I thought back to the picture of him and Meghan. They were standing in front of a cabin they use to go to all the time. The cabin had been in Meghan's family for years. I've never been there before but I know that was Meghan's go to place. I'm pretty sure that's where she is. Probably there with my damn baby. I need to find this cabin and fast. Zack, meet me somewhere. Like where? Meet me at Meghan's house. Ok. I'm more than sure I can find that address somewhere in Meghan's house. What's up? I need you to break in. Why? I think I know where Meghan is. Where? You remember that cabin that's been in her family for years? Yeah, the one she always go to. Yeah, I think that's where she hiding. I never been there so I don't know where it is. I was hoping I can find the address somewhere in her house. How we gon break in without old lady Marge seeing? The stories on, she ain't moving from that tv until it goes off. First we need to move our cars. Zack and I moved our cars down the street and walked back to Meghan's house. It'll be easier to go through the backdoor, Zack said. That's how I got in last time. We looked all over the house and couldn't find nothing with the address on it. Fuck! Y'all been friends all this time, how you ain't never been to that cabin? I just haven't, I said. She always went with Brice or be herself. Why you ain't just ask Brice? I wanna do this on my own. Chyna called but I didn't answer. She then texted me asking if I wanted to have dinner or a few drinks with her. I wasn't in the mood but I need to reset and come back to this later.

Hey boo! Hey! How are you? STRESSED! Better yet, im beyond stressed. What's going on? My son is missing. WHAT! Yes, somebody took my son. Police doing everything they can but they can't find him. Who would do something like this? I think it's Meghan. Really? Yeah but she nowhere to be found. You checked that cabin she always go to. I don't know where it is. Wait, how you know about the cabin? I been there maybe once or twice. You remember where it is? Yeah, 66 Bufflers Lane. It's like 6 in a half hours from here. Soon as Chyna said that, I took off. If I get there and my son is there, im gon kill Meghan. I didn't tell Brice or nobody I was going out there. I'm glad I can take the express way all the way there. I was doing 110 all the way there. I was 3 hours away and my heart was racing. I was praying my son was here and he was safe. At the same time, I was hoping I didn't have to kill my best friend today. Brice was calling and texting nonstop. I didn't want him knowing where I was going. "Your destination is 65 miles away", my navigation said. As fast I was going, I thought I was in a race or something. I see why I never been to this damn cabin. Shit too damn far away hell. I was about 15 miles away and it got dark as shit. It's no lights or nothing down these roads. I was using my headlights to guide me the rest of the way. The closer I got, the more anxious I became. I just wanted to get there and see my son. I had got like 0.5 miles away when I decided to park my car. Yeah, it was dumb to leave my car on the side of the road and walk the rest of the way. I didn't wanna take any chances on her hearing or seeing me coming. I was scared as shit walking down this dark ass road alone. I really didn't think about my fear. All I could think about was, getting to that cabin and getting my son. I knew I was getting closer because I was could see lights. I could see the cabin but it was down this long dirty road. While I was walking, I saw a 2 by 4 piece of wood. I grabbed it just in case I needed it. Glad I had on some regular shoes. All this dirt was fucking my shoes up. That's when it hit me. Meghan was trying to tell Dillan this is where she was. It all started to make sense, well almost. The text said; 66, secrete get away, one call, dirty roads, and squirrels. 66 is for the address, this is her secret get away, these roads dirty as hell, but im not really sure what the squirrels part mean. One call might have been she'll call him when she can. I didn't have an ounce of service out here. That explains why her phone was going straight voicemail. I was getting closer to the cabin when I saw a car parked. It's not Meghan's car tho. Could this be where Dillan went to? I crept around back so I couldn't be seen. As I was getting closer, I heard someone talking. We just have to figure out our next move without getting caught. I know baby, this wasn't part of the plan. As I got closer, I noticed it was Brice's mom. This bitch took my son. I crept behind her and hit her in the back of the head with the 2 by 4. I was gon drag her body in the woods but didn't have time. I went in the house and started looking for my son. This cabin big as shit. It was gon take me some time to find exactly where Meghan hiding. Just call me when you're almost here, I heard Meghan say. It's ok, I know you miss your daddy. I miss him too. Your new mommy is here tho. I will take good care of you, I promise. Get the fuck away from my son.