GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 52: CBGB & OMFUG

Although Eldridge was chomping at the bit to launch his privatized defense program, Lumin wouldn't agree to join his crusade until it was  crystal clear that the other engineers and builders in the compound were on board with his plan

Although Eldridge was chomping at the bit to launch his privatized defense program, Lumin wouldn't agree to join his crusade until it was  crystal clear that the other engineers and builders in the compound were on board with his plan. With Eldridge's blessing, Lumin spread the word that anyone wishing to leave the compound would be safely transported by helicopter to their state of origin. A C130 cargo plane was prepped to return to Japan with any Kyoto Team members who wished to leave. Additional helicopters were deployed to retrieve the displaced loved ones of team members and bring them back to the estate. Eldridge opened his complex of dormitories to anyone who needed shelter, whether or not they believed in his mission.

It soon became clear that almost everyone from both teams were staying put in the compound. The C130 cargo plane was relatively empty when it departed for Kyoto. Lumin arranged a meeting inside Eldridge's massive cafeteria to address the  concerns of the estate's new residents. It was important to her that everyone on the new, combined team felt a sense of stability before they started working again.

Lumin Mira, Eldridge Roundstone, Ryan Lumb  and Kengi Sato stood on a makeshift stage on the edge of the cafeteria floor as their engineers and builders settled into folding chairs to face them. An air of uneasiness filled the room. Lumin stepped forward as soon as everyone had found a seat and tapped the microphone. "Hello...Hello. Testing. Okay, it's working." She cleared her throat. "As you all know, an unprecedented and dangerous task lies ahead of us. You have all displayed incredible courage by choosing to stay...by choosing to fight. I called everyone here today so we could answer your questions and listen to your concerns. Please, don't be afraid to speak your mind."

Lumin paused to let Kanazawa Saburou translate her words for the builders in the crowd who only spoke Japanese.

Lumin continued. "So, line up behind the microphones if you have something to say and we'll begin. You may state your name and job title if you wish but it's not required."

A distressed Japanese woman stepped up and  talked for a while with a quavering voice. Kanazawa turned to Lumin when she finished talking. "The woman did not give her name. She says she is still unclear on the resistance plan and wants to know what it entails and who's in charge."

Lumin nodded. "I know our initial briefing was more than a little vague and I apologize. In a nutshell, we're going to run simulations in order to recruit new pilots for Mr. Roundstone's robot army. Once recruiting and training has finished, we will immediately deploy and begin our counterattack. We're calling it Operation Ramone.

Ryan Lumb leaned over to Eldridge. "What, like the rock band? I didn't think we named the operation yet."

"We just did, apparently," replied Eldridge with a smile.

"And just like the music of the Ramones, our counterattack will be a breakneck-paced, surprise assault from an unlikely group of rebels." Lumin was pleased to hear a spontaneous round of laughter rise from the crowd. "I know...it's a little corny...but I'm getting a little tired of all this gloom and doom, aren't you?"