* GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 32: Loss

"The jaguar's not moving! Why?" asked Dezzie, peering down from the Shuffle Pig's box

"That's a good thing, Lynch," said Samuel. "The match is over; maybe the pilot came to her senses."

"I don't think so," said Dezzie, before doing a double take. "Look, on the floor, it's Ako and Miu! They're on foot!" She watched her blood sisters sprint in front of Lumin's robot, delaying Kokone's next attack.

-------------

Ako and Miu ascended Biz's limp body with remarkable speed. They stood atop one of the robot's thighs and waved their arms to get the attention of their sister. The jaguar's humongous piston clanked; its killing blow delayed.

"Kokone! Stop this!" yelled Miu.

A loudspeaker in the jaguar's mangled face activated, sending out a blare of feedback. "Ako, Miu, get out of the way!"

"We won't let you kill their pilot!" screamed Ako.

-------------

Richard squinted as he stuck his head outside of the skybox. "What is that woman ranting about? I can barely hear her." Only Kokone's voice was audible as it pumped from her robot's speakers.

"That thing could crush Lumin at any second," said Katerina, her voice quivering. She stood up as if possessed, a sudden look of determination crossing her face. "That's it, I'm going down there!" She stomped past Richard and out the door.

"Katerina, it's not safe," said Richard. Katerina flipped him off and hurried down the concrete steps, out of sight.

-------------

The jaguar's PA system went quiet for several seconds before crackling to life again. "Sisters, everything we've worked for...our grand ambitions...you're destroying it all." Kokone's voice was intense, yet subdued. "Mercy has made you weak, made us weak. We swore a pact to make the world pay for its crimes against our family...have you forgotten?"

"You're right. We are weak, Kokone. We should have never let you push us toward a destiny only you envisioned—full of suffering and death," said Ako. "We followed you because we feared you. Now we're begging you to stop because we love you!"

"You're losing what little respect I still had for you, Ako," said Kokone.

"Please Kokone...there's other ways to show the world our strength, to restore our family name," said Miu in desperation.

A dozen armed men in body armor stomped on to the field. Ako held out her hand, signaling them to stay back. The men halted, many of them seemingly relieved they wouldn't have to confront a gigantic murderous robot.

-------------

"Oh sweet Satan," said Dezzie, looking at her phone. "Miu sent me an email a few minutes ago."