* GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 2: Drips

Lumin dragged her way through the hallway, already late for her next meeting

Lumin dragged her way through the hallway, already late for her next meeting. The closer she got to the cafeteria the more desperate she became for a boost of energy.

Darwin Spotswood's leather jacket squeaked as he strolled past Lumin. He smiled at her while keeping his hands behind his back.

"I know you have a cigarette behind your back, Spotswood. Toss it. If I catch you smoking in here one more time you're gone."

Spotswood growled and tossed the butt in the trash bin. "Happy?"

"No, keep moving."

Spotswood slicked back his pompadour and ambled away. "Sorry boss, I'll be a good Boy Scout."

Lumin leaned her head on the warehouse's archaic coffee machine and sighed--taking refuge behind her long auburn hair as it shielded her from the world. She plunked two quarters in the slot.

"Accidentally glue your head to one of the vending machines again?"

Hearing Skip Pantheon's snarky tone made Lumin's face pinch. "Go away, Skip. I was running late this morning and didn't have time to get my caramel quad--I'm tired."

"Did you tell Bo I was kicked off an ultimate frisbee team?" asked Skip, leaning his back against the dusty machine as well.

"Yes. I was trying to prove a point. I lied and I don't care if your feelings were hurt."

Skip laughed. "I don't even play frisbee."

Lumin stood up straight and looked in Skip's eyes. "What? Your hatchback is littered with them."

"Those are discs, not frisbees. I play disc golf. It's totally different."

Lumin ignored Skip and kicked the machine. "Why is this machine so slow? I put my money in and all its doing is cranking and whirring. HURRY UP!"

"I forgot this thing was even here. Everyone chugs energy drinks, except you."

"Pansies," said Lumin. "Ah, here it comes." The machine shook and wheezed. A red paper cup covered with playing cards dropped out and a trickle of liquid started whizzing into it.

"This thing has been in the building since it was a can opener factory," said Skip with concern.

"Since the fifties? No way." Lumin picked up the cup and immediately regretted her purchase. "Ew."

"I still find can openers laying around the building." Skip leaned over and winced. "I don't think coffee should be gray."

"Or cold," added Lumin. She took a sniff and tossed the cup in the garbage bin. "God, it smells like jet fuel!" She grabbed the tall can out of Skip's hand and tilted it back.

"Lumin, stop! Give that back."

Lumin's eyes went wide and she coughed. "This isn't an energy drink, Skip, it's a goddamn screwdriver!"