* GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS Part 31: Filament

"I need quick answers, guys!" said Lumin, readying herself for another attack

"I need quick answers, guys!" said Lumin, readying herself for another attack. Pain was shooting down her neck from the Kyoto Team's first strike.

"Alright, shoot," said Richard.

"First off, isn't having three freakin' robots against the rules?"

"No. All three of their machines are connected by retractable cables to an external power supply."

Lumin kept moving, doing her best to keep all of the Kyoto Team's robots in front of her. "You mean that armored box on treads?"

"Yes. Because they're all connected and sharing the same power, they're technically within the rules of the tournament. Here's the good news: if you can manage to sever one of the bot's lines they'll go dead in seconds."

"Right, easy," said Lumin, her heart pounding. She evaded another lunge by the mechanized jaguar and retaliated with a vicious kick. The Japanese bot skidded through the dirt and clanged against one of the clear aluminum  barriers.

"Alright Lumin!" cheered Katerina, jumping up from her seat.

The jaguar was already rising. Lumin armed her concussion cannon and it dropped over Biz's left shoulder. A pneumatic burst of dust cut through the air as she fired her first shot. The "beanbag" of steel collided against the leg of the jaguar and it toppled back to the floor. "This seems too—"

"Look out!" Samuel screamed into the mic, but it was too late. One of the bipedal bots dashed at Lumin and sank its oversized claw into Biz's  thigh, prying off one of the armored panels with a twisting creak.

"Shit!" Lumin yelled, managing to keep Biz on his feet and deliver a counter punch to the "crab" which sent it reeling backwards. She fired more concussion rounds while strafing to the edge of the arena to get some distance from her opponents. "I can't find an opening to cut those damn cords. The triplets are obviously aware of their robots' weakness."

"You gotta keep trying," said Dezzie, taking over the microphone in the skybox. "I spoke to the officials. They're not going to stop the fight despite that egregious sucker-punch Kyoto threw at you. Bastards."

"I'm already over it," said Lumin, keeping on the move. "Dez, can you give me your best guess on Kyoto's offensive capabilities? I'm guessing the jaguar is carrying some kind of battering ram on its back."

"Yeah, don't let it touch you with that thing. It's massive. One shot could put Biz out of commission," interrupted Dezzie.

Lumin flinched as a metal cube launched from the crab's chest. It smashed into Biz's head, knocking off a cluster of sensors. "Ow," said  Lumin, "I'm glad that wasn't my actual skull." Lumin leaned into the next volley, letting it glance off the thick armor of Biz's shoulder,  leaving little more than a scratch. She could feel the ferrofluid cushioning her body from the impact of each cube, which was a welcome–if  somewhat unsettling–sensation.