GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 20: Seven days until the match

THE STORY SO FAR:

Braggadocio between American and Japanese robotics engineers on social media escalates to a real-world, multi million dollar face-off. Backed by corporate donors, each team begins building a gigantic robot to compete in a fighting match to the "death" in Las Vegas, Nevada. The winning team will take home bragging rights and a massive purse for the charities of their choosing. A driven young woman, Lumin Mira, is sent to a secluded location in the southern Oregon desert to manage the American team's stable of talented but erratic engineers. Her team toils under a tight deadline to design and build their robot using limited resources.
When the Americans lose their financial backers, an eccentric billionaire named Eldridge Roundstone steps in and restores full funding--with the strange stipulation that Lumin pilot the robot herself. Despite Eldridge's quirks, Lumin finds herself drawn to his charms and their partnership becomes more than professional.
Lumin's team endures various setbacks, including a disastrous test run of their robot--dubbed "Biz"--and a traitorous engineer who has given designs of their most powerful weapon to an already dominant Japanese team. To ease international tensions, the Americans have agreed to give the Japanese a tour of their facility alongside members of the press.
—————————————————————

The entire American Robotics Team (unofficially named the "Shuffle Pigs") lined up beneath a large, event-style tent to await the arrival of the Japanese team, en-route from Kyoto

The entire American Robotics Team (unofficially named the "Shuffle Pigs") lined up beneath a large, event-style tent to await the arrival of the Japanese team, en-route from Kyoto. 22 members of the international press were lined up behind a nearby barrier with cameras and microphones at the ready.

Spotswood pulled at his collar and pushed his fingers through the sides of his pompadour. "Goddamn it's hot today. They better hurry up, I'm sweating through my Brylcreem."

"Feh, typical office drones," said Samuel, shaking his head in disgust. "At least there's fresh air out here, you should try working in that damn hanger on a day like this."

Finally, the Kyoto Team's jet roared overhead and touched down to the landing strip. Stifled laughs and nervous murmuring began as soon as the plane's hatch opened. Camera snaps began echoing over the desert.

"Is that a cow?" asked Skip.

"Don't be stupid, that's a...yup, that's a cow," replied Lumin, tilting her head.

A man wearing an all-white jumpsuit led a magnificent black bovine down the plane's ramp by a braided silk rope. He brought the beast to the edge of the tent then bowed to the row of engineers. The cow let out a guttural grunt.

The cameras clacked like machine guns. Reporters wielding mics crushed forward against their corral to get a soundbite from the cow.

Lumin returned a bow to the man in white while the rest of the team stared. "Welcome to our--"

"No no," said the man waving his hand with a big smile. He tapped his watch and made a wrrrrrrrrr sound while waving his hand through the air.

"So, their team consists of one old man doing charades and a cow? We're doomed." whispered Skip into Lumin's ear.