GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 26: Rubber

Lumin skidded into the elevator and hit the button for the ground floor five times, as if each press might help the squeaking doors close faster

"Hi boss."

Lumin jumped and gripped her chest. "Katerina! I didn't see you there. Good God, you scared the shit out of me!"

"We're in a space no larger than 15 square feet, Lumin—it's nice to confirm I'm invisible to you," said Katerina.

"Sorry," said Lumin. "I'm a bit off right now."

"Whatever," said Katerina with a shrug. "Come join us, you're missing the party! Spotswood's using a roasted chicken as a puppet to terrorize Dezzie. It's pretty great."

"Sounds wonderful," said Lumin, distracted by her thoughts.

"What's up, Lumz?"

"Katerina, I don't have time to explain," said Lumin, crossing her arms in front of her. The elevator began its incredibly slow descent while the two women stood facing each other silently.

Lumin sighed, feeling Katerina's stare dig into her. "I'm not going to the party, okay?" she said with a groan.

"Where are you going then?"

"Skip said he has something to show me behind the factory."

"Oh dear...Lumin...no," said Katerina with disappointment, shaming Lumin with a knowing look.

Lumin stomped her pump and broke her heel. "It's not like that! Crap."

"Want me to superglue that back on again?" asked Katerina.

"No, just...forget it. I just don't understand why everyone is up in my business lately."

"In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the businesses around here aren't exactly booming," said Katerina, matter-of-factly.

Lumin kicked off her shoes and threw them in the corner of the elevator. "Well, it won't be long until you're all free of this place, then everyone can chase tail in greener pastures." The elevator stopped and the door began grinding open. Lumin slipped out with Katerina close behind.

"I'm coming with you," said Katerina. "So, you seem to be spending a lot of time with Skip. Fess up, are you two really...you know?"

"No! We're nothing. He quit," said Lumin, pushing through double doors into a hallway leading to the back of the factory.

Katerina grabbed Lumin's hand, turning her around with surprising strength. "What? We're almost at fight-time! Why would he quit?"

"Holy shit, you're strong!" said Lumin, marveling.

"Well, chainsaws are heavy," said Katerina, meekly. "Skip?"

"I can't talk about why he quit...but don't worry about it, alright? Everything's fine," lied Lumin.